Edinburgh - Budget edition

4 Likes

Walk to leith was really nice last year fwiw

1 Like

We loved the food here

Dr Neil’s garden is very chill if you wanna sit in a garden and eat/drink coffee (free entry)

if you like beer, Stockbridge Tavern is the least annoying crowd to enjoy a quiet beer, also Cloisters which is a bit further out

1 Like

Mosque Kitchen does good well priced curry in big helpings, think it’s still £5-6 for a main dish

7 Likes

National Musuem of Scotland is big and free.

Could do a walk from Dean Village area along Leith water down to Leith (then down Portobello if want to make it longer)

Theres probably free walking tours you can do that work on tips.

Cant think of anywhere really cheap but not too expensive Taza in Town (middle eastern), The Pakora Bar, Red Box Noodles, Baked Potato Shop, Dough

1 Like

Every time we drive or walk past here, Wor Lass spends about fifteen minutes talking about how good and cheap it was.

I’ve still never eaten there.

1 Like

Yes! Actually maybe my fav food in town

Yes! Used to live opposite and it was my go to whenever I was indecisive about food - though was much better when it was £2 cheaper grumble grumble

1 Like

Hello all :wave:

I’m on my way to Edinburgh right now for an overnight stay. Wondering if anybody has any reccos for us?

We’ll be looking for somewhere we can pick up a small quick vegan lunch near Waverly station when we get in.

Somewhere to have a drink in the evening. Looking for somewhere where we can sit down and have a couple of cocktails, somewhere chill, preferably somewhere with gender neutral toilets but not essential, gay bars are good if there’s any about that fit the bill. We’re at a gig at the Usher Hall and staying in Haymarket so anywhere within walking distance is good.

Any decent vegan breakfast within walking distance of Haymarket?

Thanks!

Hula in Haymarket did a good brunch and had lots of veggie/vegan options iirc

Theres a bar called Cloisters nearby also that is very nice and chilled but doesn’t serve cocktails or meet any of your other criteria!

2 Likes

oops shame I missed this earlier

Paradise Palms and CC Blooms are both gay or gay friendly, though CCs is wrong side of town for Haymarket and Usher Hall - PP isn’t too bad though, since everything in central Edinburgh is very near by anyway, and that’s where I had this lovely thing before Wet Leg last month

For other more general cocktail bars I really like Lucky Liquor, Hoot the Redeemer, Panda and Sons - but can’t speak to how well they fit your other criteria. All pretty accessible anyway. Hey Palu is right by the venue too and very acclaimed but haven’t managed to get there myself yet

see you there! (standing or seats?)

1 Like

Seated! We’re way up in the top circle, but I’ve been promised there isn’t a bad seat in the house. Where abouts are you?

We’ve had Paradise Palms and Hoot The Redeemer recommended so will probably end up hitting one of them as long as Her Indoors feels up to it (got mad travel sick on the train).

Looking forward to Lorde! Looks like she’s really bringing it on this tour

Just standing, watch out for a bald bearded guy in glasses (really??) with a shortarse girl in some obnoxious outfit :smiley: and yeah good venue, super grand and lush, all good views and it just is a special place to have gigs imho - take it over an Academy venue any day

Ah good lemme know how it goes and where you end up. And yeah I wasn’t keen after the album came out but between her attitude and the staging and the songs growing on me … well excited!

1 Like

Omg it’s not a joke, literally everybody here is English

4 Likes

And not the kind that say cool things like “geezer”

1 Like

Did a couple of free things the other day, Musuem of Edinburgh, pretty good, nice ceramic stuff and St Giles Cathedral, nice stained glass. Both worth a look.

2 Likes

The modern art museum was great and free as well

1 Like

The parks you’ve got up in that Edinburgh are unreal

3 Likes

Where’d you go to? Yeah we’re spoiled for inner city green space tbh

Had a wander about the ornate one right in the centre underneath the castle, the one that’s a little hill (little by Edinburgh standards but would be massive in any other urban centre) with the monument on top with all the pillars, and did a big explore of Holyrood Park. Thought we’d fucked it going up Arthur’s Seat because it was so windy that once at the top I was convinced I was going to be going down the fast way, managed to cling on and get back to safety though

1 Like