Edinburgh Fringe 2019

Wish it wasn’t so fucking expensive, I loved it when I went. Train + overpriced hotels + £30ish per day on tickets + booze + food really adds up for a weekend.

1 Like

Did you say this does or doesn’t involve audience participation?

Doesn’t but I can put in a special word for you

2 Likes

Just skip it and read the Best jokes of the Fringe thread here at community.drownedinsound.com

Yeah went a couple of times when I had free accommodation. Haven’t been back since, despite having absolutely #lovedmytime

1 Like

You mean:

Dad jokes 🙄 ?

2 Likes

Right. Since the British comedy circuit is mainly 50 year old balding, straight white men, dad jokes and the fringe are one and the same

1 Like

We’re planning on going from 1st - 4th with a bunch of pals and the baby who will be 8 weeks old. Not expecting to see much due to said baby.

Ftfy

3 Likes

Thought @Witches was edinburgh?

2 Likes

You are no longer my favourite Leeds-based disser whose username starts with A

2 Likes

With a what???

1 Like

Just working on my fringe material

1 Like

Love you :heart:

2 Likes

might be over for a few days at the start of the month. 5 years since my last visit, probably don’t have the enthusiasm to fit in AS MANY SHOWS AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE like back then but will probably see Michael Legge and a couple of other people

1 Like

Kieran Hodgson is resurrecting all four of his previous shows. Go and see as many as you can as he’s ace.

We might pop down for a day this year.

Ah, good, there’s already a thread.

I’m going for the first time this year and I’m absolutely clueless about what to do. I know I’d like to see some comedy and theatre but finding new, well recommended comedians is hard and the theatre side seems impossible to me - the only plays I’ve ever seen are stuff people on here have recommended!

There’s a handful of people I’d like to see but obviously I’d like to find the exciting, new things that this festival is for but without wasting loads of time and money and ending up trapped in a room for an hour watching something terrible because it’s too awkward to leave.

If I wait until the reviews come in are the good shows going to just sell out instantly? I’m going on the 14th for a couple of nights so I’m hoping by then there’ll be some well reviewed stuff I can get tickets for? Or are there certain well-curated venues that are worth going to regardless of who’s on?

For comedy the Pleasance is generally a great spot to hang around, based around a beer/food courtyard with multiple venues around the complex – generally all good stuff and a chance of getting lastminute tickets to the more popular things too.

I’d get yourself a hard copy programme as soon as you arrive, root through it. Don’t just go for well-reviewed stuff – just take a punt on whatever you think looks interesting. Cross reference with google, particularly with theatre companies and dance, just to make sure the company is up your street.

In my opinion it’s actually a bit pointless going to the Fringe to see comedians who are on panel shows and TV anyway – they’ll be touring their Edinburgh show for the next 12 months so you could see them in any town in the UK with the exact same set. You should use it as an opportunity to take a look at lesser-known people.

3 Likes

So, some basics

• Well reviewed or hyped/big name ticketed shows may sell out their entire run but it’s fairly rare, so don’t panic too much over needing to plan really far in advance, you can take it day by day.

• there are also loads of “free” shows, at these the performer just usually stands at the door at the end with a bucket for donations. Don’t feel obliged but remember the fringe is hella expensive for performers.

• the Half Price Hut, usually on Princes Street, sells half price tickets to loads and loads of shows. What’s on there can change day to day, and sales are in-person only, so no online. The Fringe app usually tells you what they have each day, although be aware queues can be long and sometimes allocations run out - but it’s possible to get a lot of mid-priced stuff v cheap there.

• generally, i’d just advise you take a punt on stuff that looks or sounds interesting. Like I know nothing about theatre but I’ve seen some good stuff just from looking at the day’s listings on the app and finding something I like the sound of. The bigger venues / companies generally have pretty good quality control.

• saying that, probably best to avoid anything where the poster is a white guy wearing a suit/no tie and either pointing or with one hand behind his head and a confused look on his face. This may sound VERY specific but once you get here and see the posters you’ll know what I mean.

• is the Blunderbus is around, go to something on the Blunderbus.

• you may also wish to look up the Book Festival, which is on when you are around I think, and also has good stuff.

3 Likes

:smiley:

spot on

8 Likes