El Weekendío Continentalé Scorchio - The Weekend Football Thread

Kind of split on it because when it works, generally when teams come at City it’s magic, but at other times it leads to boring games. I love passing football, but at the same time i love quick countering with or without lots of the ball. I found Leicester in their title season as good to watch as this City team. The more City play like this the more the narrative will become passing is good, not passing is bad, which is hugely positive if it leads to the sort of cultural improvement we’ve seen in Spain, but at the same time i’m not a huge fan of that sort of precious logic which says there’s only one way to play. Clubs who spend huge amounts of money have a duty to entertain, but smaller clubs can still be progressive without wanting to dictate games.

1 Like

I do feel for you that absolutely no-one is taking that Otter bait no matter how deep you sink it.

Not everything everyone posts on here’s an attempt to wind you up, big man.

Think he’s been incredible virtually every game. This time last year we thought he was the weak link. Now he’s the best centre-half in the country bar none, at least with Alderweireld being injured.

Also think there’s quite an interesting debate to be had about teams best or most important players not always being the ones who score or make the goals. When i first got into football it felt like the defenders and goalkeepers were valued as much as the attackers, and they’re certainly underepresented when it comes to awards and undervalued given the speciality of position.

1 Like

KDB a class above. Otherwise, Firmino = Salah = Aguero > DDG > Kane = D Silva of that lot, imo.

1 Like

He’s good in 89 and a half minutes of every game. He’s improved a great deal, love the guy, but if you say your anus doesn’t instinctively shrivel up whenever the ball heads towards him in a 50/50 situation you’re lying.

1 Like

Less so than Kompany, Laporte early doors, or since his injury, Stones.

He’s like (and about as good as) peak John Terry. He’ll give you a chance, isn’t quick from a standing start, doesn’t like a high press (fortunately only Liverpool, Spurs and Leicester can pull this off) and can occasionally plant his feet early meaning he has to foul - but i’m not sure any of these things are huge issues. Bonucci has some of them, Vidic did.

He’s better now than Kompany was at his best. Genuinely. He’s rawer, but better with the ball at his feet. I’d struggle to name a team he wouldn’t walk into. He’s the most improved player i’ve seen at City in 25 years (although i’m 28).

Draw tonight I think

;D you keep doing you.

4 Likes

I know he’s permacrocked but if literally anyone managed to swap a player for Bale (eg Hazard) they’d win the league with change

1 Like

Is that a Thomas the Tank Engine cover on his phone?

5 Likes

would probably do bale and 120 million for Hazard tbh.

have just about come to terms with Bale at Utd but Bale at Chelsea would make me feel physically sick. Don’t think he would have any other options in England though

United are going to size bale this summer. No midfielders or defenders and a bale De Gea straight swap.
Jose gone by November. Martial scoring 1.3 goals a game in Italy

Can only see Bale going to United. Would any other club spend £100m on such an individuslistic by-then 29-year-old who’ll demand £400k a week and averages abour four injuries a season?

Nah he’s alright

Feels like we’ve done this before…

January, pal.

Martin Kelly’s back for Palace. Massive boost.

1 Like

Really enjoyed Nevz and Carra on mnf just then.

1 Like