Elbow - Little Fictions (New album)

Can’t believe bands are still ripping off Korn

Found the last album a little plodding in the main but I like what I’ve heard so far of this so I’ll probably go and pick this up. A great bunch of lads.

I genuinely love that most people on here still love Elbow.

6 Likes

*in this thread. Plenty of ire towards them!
They’re like comfort food for me. Seeing them for the 6th time in March :heart_eyes:

People on here don’t seem heavily swayed by what’s in vogue and what isn’t. In the main they judge things on their merit.
One of the many reasons I enjoy reading this forum!

1 Like

still magic

9 Likes

I love this song!

I’ve watched this many, many times. Just perfect.

This is a lovely record. Lacks the pomp and grandeur of their most famous stuff (which i’d say is a positive thing, not because i didn’t enjoy it, but because they’ve been overplayed), but the songs are stronger than their last LP or early work where i personally think they were yet to perfect their sound. Garvey’s in great fettle. Baffles me a bit that he’s not widely accepted as being a national treasure, just comes across as a lovely passionate bloke without edge and i think we’ve kind of forgot to judge people on their human qualities. Even if you don’t care for that, his voice, spoken and sung, is insanely comforting. I don’t know why we feel the need to rebel against ‘comfortable’ music really. Young men in particular seem really insecure about accepting that music can just be…nice. If liking Elbow makes me boring, good.

11 Likes

I’ve got a lot of love for Elbow (local boys done good, used to read about their first gigs in the Bury Times, their gig at Delamere Forest on the Seldom Seen Kid tour is top 10 all time) and yeah, Switching Off is my absolute favourite and would be a perfect first dance song. My mates had their first dance to One Day Like This actually, which was lovely (if probably slightly cliche nowadays, but still lovely). Really looking forward to seeing them again on this tour, but it’ll be my first time seeing them indoors actually, other time I’ve seen them was at Glastonbury a few years ago

1 Like

Great Expectations for me, Clive. Saw them at the Apollo when they were touring LotFW, and them performing that is one of my all-time favourite gig moments.

He’s got a voice and a temperament like a giant cosy blanket, aye.

1 Like

Having listened to the album most of the weekend, have to agree that ‘K2’ is really lovely.

1 Like

Their best song for me, Clive

My dad used to work in Bury…and said he knew Mr Garvey senior, who was apparently a miserably git. My dad is a questionable source, though.

Really nice album. As stated K2 is bloody great.

Like Elbow, but love Guy Garvey’s finest hour. Shame they’re going on tour and he’s not doing it for a few months.

Definitely one of the best and consistent bands, ever.

Surprised people are picking out K2 as the highlight. Barely registers for me that one. The next track (Montparnasse) is potentially their defining track. Lyrically perfect, and the hook of the chorus is peak Garvey.

prob just the bury demeanor. tell him not to take it personally, we all come across like that to begin with :smiley:

It’s the early highlight for me. I like when they get political - given all the shit going on around us right now, the line “and they’re never gonna make an arrest on Fleet Street”, delivered as it is, just really resonates. Gonna sing that loud if they play it live.

Lyrically, K2 is genius.
“I’ll send you a postcard
See you in Hull
In a sweater made of Atacama llama wool”

1 Like