Electric guitar string gauge preference.

• 8s
  • 9s
  • 10s
  • 11s
  • BIGGER

0 voters

What strings do you use when tuned around standard on your electric guitars?

Don’t care about.‘heavy bottom, light top’ nonsense. Pick one.

Do care about any interesting, wierd types. I use stainless because they sound like ball bearings.

Would use Power Slinky strings purely because of the name, but have nickel allergy.

Would play in a band called ‘Power Slinky’.

1 Like

Regular or Power slinky, definitely prefer a heavier gauge. Thicker sounding and more forgiving for fret buzz with my terrible technique.

1 Like

I use really thin strings. Rotosound 8s usually. I know a lot of guitarists get sniffy about thin gauges but they’re way easier on the fingers and also thinner strings were the norm in the 60s and early 70s so why worry?

2 Likes

8s are badass (though I’m EB for life), everything’s easy and they sound grand. I’ve always played 8s. I also faced a bunch of sniffiness about it as a choice (mainly when I was in sixth form) and I’ve never understood it, guess it goes in the ‘weird stuff guitarists do’ pile. It notably seems to be absent among bass players - I don’t even know what gauge strings I use on bass, just bass strings pls thx

Having said that, it appears that my guitar is actually currently strung with 9s lol, been a long time since I switched them (I think they were my last pack from my emergency touring stash which I picked up along the way, I probably stole them off our other guitarist)

1 Like

10s on my jazzmaster, 11s on my Jaguar though that is simplifying cos I do use hybrid gauges on the Jaguar (hybrid slinkys? A pinkish pack anyway).

I watched a comparison video of someone working up from 8s to 13s I think a year or two ago and it turns out people generally preferred lighter gauge strings when listening back side by side, bass response had more clarity being one of the main benefits. I’ve been meaning to have a go because despite generally using a lot of distortion I don’t play too hard and rarely snap strings playing live.

1 Like

tbh my comment about the sound was sort of a reflex because when I was a beginner people used to go on about thicker strings sounding fatter and meatier and all that, something I’ve never encountered as an issue playing on thinner strings! Frankly I’m unsure I could tell the difference between string gauges in someone’s sound, there’s so much else going on (though as @pip points out it clearly is something which people can discern)

2 Likes

Depends

9s on the strat
10s on the tele (RIP)
11 flats on the Jag

Can’t remember if I’ve got 9s or 10s on the blue beast

1 Like

dunno

3 Likes

12-60 :nerd_face:

3 Likes

:laughing:

7 Likes

I use 9s on my Telecaster usually.

10s or 11s on my Jaguar I think to try and stop it buzzing (it has not entirely stopped buzzing)

2 Likes

Depends on the scale length, but generally 9s on a Fender, 10s on a Gibson or PRS.

1 Like

im a wierdo that tends to use 13s on my eleccy

1 Like

12s for me

1 Like

10-52s, change two/three times a year if nothing breaks.

1 Like