Electronic etc acts with live drummers

I love this kind of thing. Any more?

Three examples

Zombie Zombie: Zombie-Zombie - Assault on Precinct 13, Brighton 25/07/2010 - YouTube

Factory Floor: Factory Floor perform "Fall Back" - Pitchfork Music Festival 2014 - YouTube

Orson Hentschel: Orson Hentschel - What's Going On (Live at Denovali Festival Essen 2015) - YouTube

Edit: Oh, none of these embedded. I’ll concede this thread might die instantly. I would recommend the third link

4 Likes

You might be too late to edit now, but if the links are on their own line they should maybe embed?

1 Like

Yeah it’s too late. Hopefully the thread title will generate a generous 5 replies

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

I always assumed Yppah used a live drummer but I might be wrong.

1 Like

@nicholasurfe I saw Zombie Zombie on that tour at Islington mill in salford, just did a whole set of John Carpenter covers. Absolutely fantastic stuff.

Saw Ladytron live a few times. First time was at Contact theatre in Manchester touring ‘604’, just the four of them stood behind synths with a drum machine. they were pretty weak tbh. fast forward a couple of years later and they’d filled out the live band with a drummer & (possibly) a bassist and were miles better. just this overwhelming, propulsive wall of sound.

That Aussie duo, The Presets, were really good fun both times I saw them too.

Still think D.A.F are the ultimate electronics/live drummer combo (who, regretfully, I never saw live) Robert Gorl is a goddamn machine.

3 Likes

Not seen or heard much of them in years but there used to be a band called The Bays that absolutely refused to ever commit any performance to record but used to share live recordings of gigs. Basically an instrumental live band that played improvised sets with a drummer and various synths and samplers.

They sound very 00’s electronica these days but i really liked them back when they were active - they’d usually start with very basic ambient sounds and then build up to fully live improvised DnB by the end…

How many drummers you want btw?

7 Likes
3 Likes

This ofc remains the best video on yt

3 Likes

Was going to post Holden. Saw him in the dead of winter in a small place with no cloakroom. All those lads in duffle coats was a vibe.

Also, Holden related Caribou Vibration Ensemble

1 Like
1 Like

Shit & Shine

1 Like

I’ve got the dvd of this.

FYI.

I remember when I went to see them live at the Monarch shortly after the Too Many DJs ep came out (sometime around 1999) and I wasn’t really sure what I expected to see at all. I’d assumed the record was done with samples so I expected an electronic setup I suppose or else a band that would sound quite different. Was blown away by the fact the song sounded so close to the record.

1 Like
1 Like

Cannot wait to see them on Friday. Think their session drummer was in New Young Pony Club? she’s awesome.

Came here to post that exact CVE video. The ATP performance was spectacular.

1 Like