Electronic / IDM / Ambient / Drone listening club

Isn’t it basically a US version of Wendy? Like how they can’t say Craig or something.

Anyway, Windy and Carl are one of those bands I know a little by, but should investigate more because I’ve really liked what I’ve heard. I only really know Antarctica and Depths and they’re both great. Going to have a proper listen over the weekend!

So much of that early Kranky stuff is great. Growing, Charalambides, Autistic Daughters, Pan American and the big hitters like W&C, Keith Fullerton Whitman, Dead Texan, SOTL and Loscil.

3 Likes

Pan American :heart_eyes:

The guitar which opens the album has a bit that makes me think of Coldplay…

I’m enjoying this week’s pick. Wasn’t 100% sold on first listen but it has grown on me - one you can really sink into. I think it’s best at the points when it’s bit louder like on the title track - get’s quite swirly and all-encompassing.

Ok, this week’s pick is a special edition where I abuse my power as the listening club manager.

And the context is in the opening post here…

I’ve already written an actual essay on the music on this collection which comes with purchases via Bandcamp. But yeah, this is music I am deeply passionate about and I think it’s an incredible collection of ambient / drone / techno / IDM. Consequently, I feel almost no guilt about this shameless plug.

7 Likes

I HEARD THAT THIS WAS REALLY GOOD AND EVERYONE WILL REALLY LIKE IT.

I HEARD IT FROM A TOTALLY UNBIASED SOURCE.

6 Likes

This is really good. In fact it’s too good. Listening to anything else in this thread feels like shoving actual human shit into my ears now. All other music is redundant.

(Am I overselling this?)

2 Likes

No no this is spot on

1 Like

Purchased and queued for listening pleasure.

5 Likes

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

When are the CDs going out @Twinkletoes, sort of want to wait to open that luscious packaging before my first listen…

1 Like

1st batch were posted yesterday. 1st class (naturally) so hopefully you’ll get yours today, but if not then should be tomorrow at the latest.

2 Likes

2 Likes

i’m so late to this initiative! how do I get the physical version?!

2 Likes

There’s a link partway down the bandcamp page :slight_smile:

Just firing this up while I write my Year 10 reports. Fab so far! No idea what my reports are going to end up like cos I’m not really concentrating on them at all. ‘Veins Full of Static’ is really doing it for me; smashing stuff.

5 Likes

Colin Mawson. Lovely stuff. Ended up staring out of the window for a long time. Other teacher asks if I’m ok. I’m fine.

4 Likes

Body in the Thames. I love that he’s called “Body in the Thames” and this track has such a liquid quality. Sounds slippery and rather hypnotic. Love it.

4 Likes

ooooooooooooo that bass oscillator effect! Making my head go all funny. Not getting any work done right now.

2 Likes