Electronic / IDM / Ambient / Drone listening club

Despite being quite repetitive, the warm bass (from early Seefeel) and clanking rhythm of Extract keep it pretty compelling. I like the echoing vocals throughout, which again bring to mind something subterranean. When Face Was Face is one of the strongest tracks in my view, fussy and interesting after a stuttering opener, and then again, pulses of bass - they really make a lot of use of rhythm throughout. Beautifully pieced together.

Things ratchet up a notch with a second standout track in Fracture, which adds distorted beats over chiming synths (or are they still treated guitars). Really good.

Gonna bang this on now

Definitely “this”.

Mixing it up now with that deep bass propelling Gatha into the middle of the album. I like that despite not using too many different elements, there’s still a lot of variety across the tracks.

That hitting-a-bin-lid-with-a-stick snare is so satisfying. Properly hypnotic track this - never have that confidence in my own work to just really let a loop go on like they do here.

Sorry, just made myself a sandwich. Ruby-ha is a lot less jolly than it’s title would suggest, back into some decent bass with Rupt. Accompanies a cheese sandwich very nicely.

On Ruby-Ha now. Love the use of the soft vocal samples in contrast with the industrial percussion throughout the album.

Rupt is very very good, innit. Brooding and serene all at once. Nice kinda call and response in the treble.

And here we go into Vex, which is a definite late highlight, fast, percussive and driving, perhaps close to Industrious from Quique (ah, I love Quique, and Polyfusia). Cut uses the ‘same repeated note’ trick that I like in a lot of music, and to be honest I’d have preferred as a closer to Utreat (which is one of those downbeat closers that I don’t really feel adds to the album and leaves you with a slightly “ho hum” taste in your mouth).

Great album though, and would be great to work to if I didn’t keep getting distracted by doing this!

So good opportunity to plug Quique (which needs its own slot in time), their S/T of a few years back (which was again heavy on rhythm, but with some good glitch) and Mark Clifford’s other work as Oto Hiax (which I believe @AphexTwinkletoes put me onto). All worth following up on.

Yes to all of this. Been revisiting my 2018 playlist on spotify recently and had Oto Hiax lined up for another listen. Quique is essential listening really.

Totally with you on Utreat. Bit of a damp squib to close out a really excellent album. Love how clanky all the percussion is. Kind of a shame they disappeared for so long after this.

Utreat has grown on me over the years. I love that kind of ascension culminating in a kind of chord if that makes sense

Doesn’t spoil a great album, and I do always listen to the end (the plus side is it gets me looking for the next pick!) - thanks again for reacquainting me with it!