Elton John

In light of the new Elton John biopic - Rocket Man what are your top 3 Elton John songs?

1. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
  2. Tiny Dancer
  3. Are you ready for love?
  1. I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues
  2. Rocket Man
  3. Sacrifice
  1. Tiny Dancer
  2. Daniel
  3. Rocket Man
  1. Rocket Man (Shatner version)
  2. Rocket Man
  3. Yellow Brick Road
2 Likes

Tiny Dancer
Your Song
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Levon
Madman Across the Water
Bennie and the Jets

Rocket Man - just simply lovely.

Don’t Go Breaking My Heart - a joyful breath of fresh air in the fart of a year for pop that was 1976.

Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting - ridiculous but great, OTT fun, like Oasis done properly.

Hard to think of many artists more frustrating than Elton John. Love the songs listed in these top 3s, but whenever I’ve tried to dig any deeper than these, everything else seems to stink.

His best stuff is sublime, but it’s buried under mountains of absolute shite.

1 Like

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - simply one of the great intros, descending piano and opening line, wonderful.
Bennie and the Jets - for Super Rich Kids
Your Song - easy choice really.

Any late 60’s/early 70’s album is well worth checking out.

1 Like
  1. song for guy
  2. sad songs
  3. I guess that’s why they call it the blues

Absolutely crushing to not put nikita or rocket man on here.

“Mark Nishita has been into this song since he was in high school. Periodically during the time that we’ve known him, he will just bust in with the first chord and start playing it. So one day when Biz was over at the studio, singing as we backed him on our instruments, it happened. We had been playing all the classics: ‘Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog,’‘The Joker’…I guess it was fated to transpire at some point. Mark began to play and Biz began to sing. It was one of those moments when everything comes together. Magic was in the air. Years later, Biz jumped on stage with us at Madison Square Garden, and we had the great fortune of performing this Elton John classic to a packed house. So this one goes out, special dedication, to Elton himself." - Adam Yauch

1 Like

I know this isn’t a thread about the film but I saw Rocketman on sunday and by fuck it’s good. I mean really really great. Taron Egerton is amazing. Went in with low expectations but it totally blew me away…

2 Likes

Been very slowly working on learning the piano line to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road recently. There’s so much going on. It’s challenged my limited abilities, but it’s great - the intro as mentioned, but also love that key change for the bridge.

No idea what it’s all about, but a beautiful song and not one I think I’ll ever tire of hearing.

1 Like

Absolutely this, his cocaine years were an absurdly productive creative period. Think I like all the albums from this period but Madman Across The Water is a masterpiece.

2 Likes

Tiny Dancer
Rocketman
Your Song

Mona Lisa’s and Mad Hatters
Rocketman
Your Song

I probably need to hear more of his stuff

Has anyone else had a biopic made while they were still alive? Seems a bit Morrissey.

Coal Miners Daughter (Loretta Lynn) is great. Just covers the first part of her life though.

You can’t say this about many artists either, which says good things about Elt

2 Likes