Emo revival thread for the new boards

just got a ticket to this, anyone else on it? or is anyone going to part 1 in October?

i am mainly going cos i wanna see Holding Patterns (3 of the guys from Crash of Rhinos, if you don’t know them then get out of this thread and go listen to both their albums IMMEDIATELY)

Small Pond presents PART II of ENJOY Sugoi, a new experimental rock festival in London.

tricot (JP)
Natalie Evans - Full Band (UK)
Holding Patterns (UK)
Yama Warashi (JP)
itoldyouiwouldeatyou (UK)
more TBA

Tickets:
See Tickets - goo.gl/nTJDju
DICE - https://link.dice.fm/enjoysugoi-tricot-scala

Dual tickets for Part I + Part II:
http://bit.ly/enjoysugoi

https://www.ticketweb.uk/event/enjoy-sugoi-festival-tricot-scala-tickets/8514585

yeah i wanna see Holding Patterns as well so will probably get tickets for this

1 Like

really like this latest awakebutstillinbed album (what a fucking awful name though). Reminds me of Rainer Maria (not as good though!) from the first time round but with a bit more grit. Real nice.

1 Like

!!!

New Cursive album

1 Like

first song sounds… alright. i quite like parts of it but am really not sure about that ‘money, money’ refrain… i think they basically haven’t made a very good album since Ugly Organ tbh

still, got Domestica on now and it’s amazing how they made two 10/10 albums in a row (with a 10/10 in between). what a run.

The Ugly Organ is absolutely their pinnacle for me - nowhere else to go (realistically) except down.

2 Likes

I really liked Happy Hollow.

Bet all the Iraq-era societal angst sounds positively quaint now though.

it’s got some good stuff on it, but even at the time, when I was a fucking huge fan, i remember i was almost forcing myself to like it more than i actually did. this is the best song from that era and it didn’t even make the album:

Oh, wondered why they’d recently been spamming Facebook messages despite hardly ever touching their page! Love a bit of Cursive, I do.

1 Like

Yeah I agree with that, Kasher’s been hit and miss for a while, I think the last essential record he’s made was Album of the Year. All the other stuff has been fine but forgettable tbh.

What’s the 10/10 in between? (I assume the others are Domestica and Ugly Organ).

I’ve just put Such Blinding Stars for Staving Eyes on. Despite having them for years I’ve never given the first two albums loads of attention but revisiting it this is great.

1 Like

Me too! They’ve been running through songs from each album and I wondered what was up.

yeah i agree - i absolutely love Tim, meeting/interviewing him and Ted once was one of my life highlights, and I will always check out his work, but his solo stuff has always left me feeling a bit flat, and yeah Album Of The Year was definitely the last great Good Life record.

Burst & Bloom is 10/10 for me as well - perfect introduction of Gretta (bring back Gretta!)

there’s so much good stuff pre-Domestica - i remember downloading as many sample mp3s (in 96kbps ha) off the old Saddle Creek website when i was a teenager and this song blew my mind

YES

1 Like

Still the best gig I’ve ever been to was Cursive on the Ugly Organ tour, with Gretta. It was at the Cathouse (@Lo-Pan) and there were about 12 people there, ffs.

1 Like

just found this whilst trying to work out when I saw them first

and then remembered I actually saw them for the first time supporting Forward, Russia. bizarre lineup, that.

1 Like

Of course Burst and Bloom! Such a great ep, The Great Decay might have been the first Cursive song I was into.

I assume you know Notes from the Bedroom Floor… on the Eastern youth split for a great cello riff. So good.

Yeah I remember having bad mp3s of After the Movies and When Summers Over Will you Dream of Spring and loving them.

I played cello when I was teenager

Might’ve kept it up if Cursive w/ cello had been a thing then.

2 Likes

you’ve just reminded me that Grammatics did a cover of Notes In His Pocket (where they change ‘the Underwood’ to ‘the Brudenell’) but there’s no evidence of it online anymore :frowning:

EDIT: oh wait it’s tacked on to the end of the album on spotify for some reason!

1 Like

Burst and Bloom is a great little record. Mothership and Fairytales Tell Tales are probably my favourites from it but tbh they’re all great tracks.

As well as Bedroom Floor, I loved May Flowers from the Eastern Youth split (despite the really dark lyrics).

Possibly worth a thread on its own but why did split singles/EPs die out a bit? Did Bandcamp kill them off?

1 Like