Emo revival thread for the new boards

Funnily enough I’ve been listening to that album today after Ian Cohen was tweeting about his review of it. Never heard it before but it was great!

Harmlessness by them is an absolutely fantastic album too.

Always Foreign is decent as well but a lot darker than the previous two.

2 Likes

So what are the Hotelier up to?

Just thinking this. Been a few years since the last one eh

I’m worried!

oh yeah, i saw they tweeted the other day about a free gig in NY later today, where they are playing for and hour and a half. be interesting to see what the set looks like.

2 Likes

They’re very non-committal on the socials…really do hope they come back with something soon

7 tracks from Home Like No Place…

nice setlist, nothing new though :frowning:

A couple of new emo records out today:

First a new EP from Signals Midwest, for fans of Oso Oso, Tigers Jaw, Warm Thoughts etc

https://signalsmidwest.bandcamp.com/album/pin

And the new album by Have Mercy, only recently discovered them off the back of the new singles which are a little bit Jimmy Eat World but a bit heavier and darker esp on their previous albums.

New one from Slaughter Beach, Dog, too.

2 Likes

The new Microwave album has been announced (pre-order here - https://purenoise.merchnow.com/). I think they’re really interesting. Last record was a mix of (good) Weezer meets (good) TBS.

1 Like

Pure Noise signing too. Given what they started out as, that label are knocking it out of the park at the moment. Can’t Swim, Spanish Love Songs, Drug Church and now Microwave.

Loving the direction of the new stuff too. Much Love is nice but this has way more bite.

2 Likes

Yeah. I know what you mean - there was quite a lot of promise in their last one though, so glad they’re pursuing a darker path

1 Like

This band Proper. were mentioned in the new releases thread last week and I’ve just checked them out.

Just released a new album on Big Scary Monsters (which if you still buy CDs have a two for one code - which also works on odd numbers just halves the price :man_shrugging:)

Looks like they used to be called Great Wight

5 Likes

Dunno if anyone here is into Somos? Their ‘Temple of Plenty’ album was pretty much my 2014 AOTY.

They posted about finishing LP3, so I was stoked to here it. Then they announced on Sunday that their guitarist Phil Haggerty had died - no cause of death given but the guy was only 28.

They released the album early (was due out in Autumn I think) on bandcamp to help cover the funeral costs, and having reached that target fairly quickly the money from album sales is going to a foundation that helps fund social justice degrees etc.

Feels almost crass to discuss the album but it is fantastic… more atmospheric Turnover/Appleseed Cast type stuff on this compared with the first album.

While the decision to go ahead and release this video four days after the brutal murder of a police officer is questionable IMO, the new song from Nervus is otherwise excellent despite starting out as a straight-up rip-off of The Sweater Song

Old but new…

I’m guessing if folks are in here then a lot of you already own the Science 1994 version but Numero group are doing one of their lovely reissues for Indian Summer.

For those who haven’t heard them before, Indian Summer were talky/scrambly/falling on the floor, ground zero emo. weren’t around for long but they were cracking.

I’ve been listening to this album a lot this week. I dig. Los Campesinos! vibes.

Really enjoying the new Oso Oso album.

7 Likes