Emo revival thread for the new boards

An absolutely terrific album, so many bangers on it.

1 Like

Goodness is better than :house_with_garden:. Just sayin’

It is, but it’s also not.

1 Like

Full Captain We’re Sinking stream:

Vanishing Life anybody??
Ex Rival Schools/Quicksand/Rise Against/Trail Of Dead/Bad Religion members

3 Likes

that Slow Mass Audiotree session is now on Spotify

Audiotree’s engineers are geniuses, it sounds better than their proper recorded stuff

1 Like

Tried to get it to embed but no such luck…

Any Christie Front Drive love here? That Anthology collection of early EPs is something else…and the s/t album also very good. I think my top 5 bands of this genre would be as below with quite a gap to the next batch of bands…

1. Sunny Day Real Estate
  2. Mineral
  3. RItes of Spring
    4=) Christie Front Drive
    4=) The Hotelier
1 Like

So good. I only just realised that is the new(ish) IIOI drummer

New Prawn album!

FAO of @elthamsmateowen @xylo @OceanStorm etc

5 Likes

just wanna say cheers to this for getting me into the hotelier

2 Likes

HOORAY

1 Like

So very up for this album. It’s a bit annoying they’re supporting The Flatliners in autumn, as I can’t really be bothered with them. I’m hoping for maybe a few headline shows, perhaps

1 Like

Yeah pretty excited for this. That last record stands up really well 2 years on, there’s a deceptive amount of depth there.

Finally getting round to catching up on this thread, top work emo hive mind.

Gonna take the liberty of contributing some good Aussie emo I got into while I was living over there, should definitely be up lots of peoples’ streets here:

Ceres - sick band from Melbourne, definitely at the emotional pop-punk end of the spectrum, but a lot of common ground with HLNPIT-era Hotelier. Also their new album was produced by Tom from Los Campesinos funnily enough.

Oslow - bit more moody, heavy and occasionally mathy, remind me quite a bit of Title Fight and Crash Of Rhinos (R.I.P.) in places. Really strong debut album released this earlier.
Oslow | Oslow (nothing on youtube)

Arrows - now defunct sadly, but holy shit if you like that Mineral/Christie Front Drive sort of emo you should listen to these guys. First album was full on second wave emo, second album introduced more slide guitar and piano but still pretty emo at heart. Also they mention loads of places in Brisbane in their songs, which is nice.

HANNAHBAND - two-piece from Sydney who play melodic post-hardcore, plenty of screaming and chunky riffs. They’re pretty earnest (lots of songs about social issues and feminism) but without being too heavy-handed I don’t think.

Horror My Friend - think this just about counts as emo, they actually really remind me of a lot of UK bands - particularly Distophia, also Johnny Foreigner and The Spills. Horror My Friend - Stay In (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Camp Cope sort of fit into that scene too I think, though they’re not quite emo. And obviously the Smith Street Band are fucking wonderful, they’ve been mentioned in this thread already but I can’t say enough good things about them.

2 Likes

awesome, will check these artists out when i’m home later

hi mate!

lovely guitar sound on that Oslow record, sounds right up my street

1 Like

Majority Rule are coming to Europe in October and I think there will be UK dates.

Excellent news. I am so, so envious of their upcoming US tour with pg.99 and City of Caterpillar

Hi dude! Glad you like it, it’s a top album.

Actually here’s another one I really like with a lovely 90s emo guitar sound

1 Like