Employers using screen tracking software

Anyone’s employer use something like this?

Would you accept a job if you knew they used it?

Would it encourage you to do more work?

1 Like

I know me, at some point I’d start typing “hello boss how are you today” in the chrome address bar

6 Likes

“…you twat”

11 Likes

Thankfully no (as far as I know)

Definitely not

Possibly although I reckon I’d just start using my phone more instead

1 Like

Think my employer essentially has something like this (or says it does, think it’s mainly keystrokes/where you access). But it is mainly for security, stop you looking at records you shouldn’t, rather than to ensure you are doing work all yer hours

It just means I use the internet on my phone rather than on the PC.

1 Like

No
Unlikely
No, I’d just look for ways around it

2 Likes

Think my employer has the ability to view what we’re doing, not sure if they use it or not. Think I noticed my mouse cursor moving once so I think they do

I just browse the internet on my phone whilst moving my mouse a bit

2 Likes

BOSS: Manches, why have you been writing a lengthy fan fiction about Dr. Zhivago

MANCHES: um… well…

BOSS: It doesn’t even relate to the events of Boris Pasternak’s novel

MANCHES: DID YOU EVEN READ THE END WHERE I MAKE THE CONNECTION

BOSS: No

MANCHES: WELL THEN, PHILISTINE

14 Likes

Pretty sure most systems like this have a pop up box that you have to accept before they can take remote access?

1 Like

For those of you saying you wouldn’t take a job where it was in place, do you think that eventually it will become commonplace?

I’ve got nuffin to hide so i don’t care

Our place doesnt, the IT department used to take remote access to view any problems and they could just go straight on

Wouldn’t have a problem with this whilst I am logged in to the work system to be honest, not really that different to having someone look over your shoulder which could happen in the office.

Would want to make sure that if I exit the application I use to remote access work systems that it was not going to track my personal use of my personal device - that’s the obvious line in the sand.

Surprised this has hit the news tbh. Always assumed it was fairly common place (though not standard practice) for the better part of 2 decades. The software has certainly existed for that long (if not longer)

Thankfully undont think my employer uses it but as wfh becomes increasingly common I suspect till increase in popularity

incidentally if anyone happens to still have my doctor zhivago fanfic from old dis, pls dm me

Our IT policy explicitly says that they don’t track what we do, so any changes would probably have to go through the unions who would kick the fuck off.

Don’t think I’ve ever worked anywhere that does this but I keep non-work internetting to a minimum on work computers.

1 Like

i remote into a pc in another location so technically they can see my screen all the time if they care to check. obviously do all my internetting on my own laptop tho

1 Like

They keep saying they’re going to do more monitoring, dunno how far they’ve got with it. Seems daft to me, if I’m dicking around doing no work it’s because I’m demotivated, maybe address that instead of seeing how often I’m refreshing the Guardian politics live blog?

(do everything else on my phone, obviously)

4 Likes

11 Likes

I don’t do anything personal on my work computer because that would be silly wouldn’t it I’m more bothered that they could show that my screen didn’t change for half an hour whilst I had a nap

3 Likes