England recommendations (road trip)

Looking at a map, York appears to be about halfway between Edinburgh and London, plus not too far a detour (assuming you’re coming down the A1). Only ever been there once and it was pissing it down but it looked like it would have been nice to explore.

Harrogate is about halfway as well: I’ve heard nice things about it but never been.

Bakewell is fine… the surroundings in the Peak District are nicer than the towns imho but there’s a pretty river that runs through it and you could take a picturesque drive. Peverel Castle in Castleton is pretty cool, mainly for the view at the top of the hill.

Another vote for Hebden Bridge. Lovely place. Weird number of people from Chorlton with links to there. When i went i bumped into about three people who i live near. Seems to have the same sort of grow your own veg/pretend being in a band’s a job/fuck the Tories vibe.

1 Like

Definitely recommend Castleton

Also would give you the chance to stay at peak hotel and set up a bantsy thread titled ‘have we reached peak hotel?’ And the OP Just having a photo of it and saying ‘Yes’ (definitely never toyed with posting such a thread at any point, of course)

Guildford

2 Likes

Parked in the car park of peak hotel last weekend and thought of doing this too if I wasn’t on a twitter/FB hiatus

1 Like

Between the peak district and London, you could stop off at Melton Mowbray for an hour to stock up on pork pies and stilton

1 Like