Enjoy your meal! Bon Appétit!

Every day at lunch, everyone here eats at the lunch table in work. Whenever someone walks through the door, they say “eet smakelijk” to those already in the room already eating. This roughly translates to “Enjoy your meal!” or “Bon Appétit!”. Thing is, this isn’t someone being all extroverted and making a point, they say it in all manner of voices, almost as if it’s a non-thing like saying “bless you” when someone sneezes.

I have tried explaining that this is weird and not something people would do in English. I said that if you said bon appétit or enjoy your meal, it’d only really make sense if you were involved in the process of creating that food, or making the meal a possibility, otherwise it’d be disingenuous.

Am I right here? Does this seem strange to you? Would you walk into a dining area and say “enjoy your meal” in an off-the-cuff way? Is it just that I’ve been rude all these years, or is the phrase just used in a slightly different way?

• Cultural / language difference
  • No cultural / language difference
  • I can’t really tell either way from your description

0 voters

It’s Bon Appetit

in front of a sold out audience

12 Likes

Thank you for your feedback

This sounds nice and not weird at all. I think you might be the weird one :woman_shrugging:.

2 Likes

Buen prothreadcho

I think that sounds like a nice and kind thing to do

2 Likes

que aproveche

It sounds weird to a british person, but it’s just dutch politeness, I guess.

GBOD

2 Likes

same in Spain. If you walk past someone and they’re eating, or even enter a room with people eating dinner or whatever, it’s very normal and even expected to say ‘que aproveche’ or ‘buen provecho’.

I never do this obviously, because I’m British, not European.

3 Likes

If we decided to start doing this in the United Kingdom what should the phrase be:

• Enjoy your meal!
  • Enjoy your meal please!
  • Have a nice time whilst eating!
  • Have a great time whilst eating!
  • Eat up! And have fun whilst doing that
  • I hope your meal is to your enjoyment
  • Look who’s on their way to Flavour Town!
  • My my my, someone’s about to enjoy some food!
  • Nom nom nom
  • CHOMP IT DOWN! CHOMP IT DOWN! (chanted)
  • Time to eat now
  • Good luck with the food!
  • Choose to chew
  • Other (please specify)

0 voters

5 Likes

This is low-key one of my favourite DiSisms

Exceptional reply

That’s a kind thing to have said, thank you x

1 Like

Can we extend this to the toilets please?

“Enjoy your piss or poo!”

3 Likes

“Have a good excretion!”

4 Likes

I sometimes say “Have fun in there!” if someone says “I’m just nipping to the loo” or whatever

1 Like

Perfect!

1 Like

That’s very nice of you.

2 Likes

I think people like it