Enjoy your meal! Bon Appétit!

We’re the weird ones here. The French do it, the Italians do it, the Spanish do it, surprised the Dutch do it, but there we go. Assumed we didn’t bother because traditionally our food is shit and we wouldn’t be enjoying it.

4 Likes

Sometimes if someone says “just nipping to the toilet” at say 1pm, then I will respond with “What? But we’ve got that meeting at 3!”.

It’s funny because the implication is that they will spend at least 2 hours in the toilet.

Thanks for reading this reply xx

5 Likes

That’s fucking funny stuff that, mate. Mind if I steal it?

I like this, but be careful as some people do sometimes have issues with long poooos.

2 Likes

Please go ahead!

2 Likes

Yes, as with all “office humour”, you should always think about the context and circumstance to ensure that you don’t cross the line into “inappropriate office behaviour”

1 Like

this just made me laugh remembering all those guy fieri memes

Absolutely! Glad we’re aligned.

cc: HR

1 Like

“Guy Fieri - The first transatlantic meme” might be something. A thing who is famous in their home country who has been elevated to an equivalent level of fame in a country he is less famous in despite still being on the telly in that country but nobody really watches it.

I just say it in French cause ppl know what I mean

Or even ‘bon app!’

don’t really want to be interrupted or talk to anyone whilst I’m eating tbh

1 Like

For ages I didn’t know whether “bon app” meant “enjoy your meal” or “have a nice afternoon” so I’d make a funny noise to acknowledge that the other person was being polite, could’ve just said “merci” couldn’t I

1 Like

Can I just say that I am really enjoying this thread and also @Antpocalypsenow’s poll upthread is very good and funny.

4 Likes

Thank you Nicola x

3 Likes

They do this in the German speaking nations too. I’ve lived here for about five years and it still freaks my nut out to this day.

over here it would be a series of glances and discrete facial expressions, followed by email by way of reception, asking people to avoid eating strong smelling food at work.

1 Like

Can I suggest “Here we go”?

1 Like

Of course you can! You can do whatever you like, mate. You have no limitations.

4 Likes

A friend of mine did work experience over the summer a few years ago in Metz. He used to head out to a nearby park to eat lunch, not knowing that eating alone in public in France was considered to be peak sad-bastardry. He’d be sitting on a park bench enjoying his sandwiches and passers by would yell “bon appetit!” at him and laugh really Frenchly as they walked away.

4 Likes

this makes me feel bad for him - WTF is wrong with enjoying a nice sandwhich in the park