Epigraphs, Songs, Poems in Books

Epigraphs

• I read these and spend time considering their meaning in the context of the story
  • I read them and move on
  • Skip them entirely

0 voters

Songs (a la Far Over the Misty Mountains etc)

• I sing these whilst polishing my mithril breastplate
  • I read these if there’s any direct impact on the story
  • JOG ON

0 voters

Poems

• I perform (albeit internally) to get the rhythm and meter
  • I read them to parse the words
  • SKIP THAT

0 voters

Maps

• I read the book with one finger on the map page, frequently cross referencing the current story location and picturing the geography of the world
  • Oh that’s quite a nice picture at the start of the book
  • I don’t read books with maps in

0 voters

If only there was a novel or series of novels that had long descriptive passages, poems, songs and maps. I’d love that!

6 Likes

I got into the LotR songs that were put to music in the Radio 4 adaptation and do now I would definitely read them.

1 Like

Still like the Gilgalad (sp?) song a lot and think of it quite a bit

1 Like

I love that adaptation, I have the big old cassette box set.

1 Like

You know my aunt had this amazing book where a Tolkien scholar had compared the book to the map and realised the map was inaccurate so had done a full journey of the ring and fellowship over pages of detailed maps. Fascinating.

1 Like

I have MP3s!

1 Like

Before I ever read LotR I knew the one ring poem because my Granddad knew is (probably still does) off by heart and used to recite it to us. He’s got a proper old-fashioned memory, grew up in colonial India in a military family and clearly did loads of rote learning because there’s stuff that’s just so solidly in there. But as a consequence, when I read the books myself I found the poems to be a real integral part.

1 Like

The book mentioned here

Looks a lot like the Middle Earth Role Playing game I had.

1 Like

I think I did try to read them all but my god Bombadil’s bit.

But I also think this introduction caused me to then not bother in future.

I hope @kenako will participate in these polls.

1 Like

Ha ha, the MERP maps were lovely things. I assume you mean ICE’s hugely complex Middle Earth Role-playing?

There’s actually a really good system called The One Ring that’s then been adapted for DnD 5e if the combat feels too simplistic.

Yup :slight_smile:

In the first adventure I GMed the 1st level wizard whose only spell was to boil half a litre of water but at distance used it to boil the urine the bladder of a sleeping goblin. That’s about the level of our group

3 Likes

Goblins have two bladders?

1 Like

The most exciting thing in the world is opening a book and finding a map on the first page.

Love maps. Getting all tingly thinking about them.

2 Likes

I think the maps in Black Leopard, Red Wolf are so great. Really loved their style and how you got one for each part too.

Almost as good as opening it and seeing a family tree right away, like in 100 Years of Solitude. TBH I think that just served to confuse me more than anything else though …

4 Likes
  • I have read The Silmarillion
  • Lol

0 voters

Parts of it were a slog and I don’t think I could have told you anything about part 1 even just after I finished it.

1 Like

Homegoing had a really helpful family tree, was constantly checking to see where each character fit/what branch they were from