Ethical Veganism

Officially, A Thing (and a belief that is protected by law).

6 Likes

Interesting.

For things like this, would someone have to prove they held this belief to successfully claim discrimination, or could a person making anti-vegan statements be prosecuted e.g. as a hate crime?

Definitely is tbf

Not sure, not seen the judgement yet, just the headline! Will have a wee think through the implications in a sec.

1 Like
6 Likes

Under the Equality Act itā€™s unlawful to discriminate, harass or victimise employees on the grounds of their religion, religious belief or philosophical belief- this case says the ethical veganism (i.e. veganism for moral reasons rather than say being allergic to milk) is a philosophical belief.

1 Like

Good

It also doesnā€™t mean heā€™ll win his case. He seems to have acted like a right dick. All that has changed is that ethical veganism is a protected characteristic.

3 Likes

Indeed- if he has evidently committed gross misconduct then it doesnā€™t matter if heā€™s the dalai lama himself.

2 Likes

is this the guy who has a bobble hat with the word Vegan on it ?

Does he really need the hat ? I mean itā€™s good that heā€™s keeping warm butā€¦

1 Like

This is good fun. Heā€™s an absolute tool but heā€™s not wrong at all. Nice to see a typical right wing talkhead just ripped apart tbh even if he is angry as fuck

1 Like

Yeah he does seem like a bit of a twat. But as for the hat and ripping the piss out of things like that (and the guy on This Morning who had the Vegan tattoo behind his ear)- Iā€™m in two minds about all this.

Itā€™s a well worn joke - How can you tell if someoneā€™s a vegan? Donā€™t worry, theyā€™ll make sure you know, etc etc etc.

But the thing is- consumption of animal products (and I speak as a consumer of these) is wrong on many levels and- even from an environmental perspective if not animal-suffering based one- people should be looking at changing their eating habits. I think if you are fully vegan it must be very hard not to be at least a little bit evangelical about it because the more people who do it, the better. THe more people who understand what is involved and realise itā€™s hard but achievable, the better surely.

People who slag off ā€˜smug vegansā€™ are often reacting to the strong cognitive dissonance that happens when you are trying to defend something that you know is deep down wrong. Again, I am one of those people sometimes and I get annoyed at myself when my kneejerk reaction is to want to join in at slagging off these people for their Vegan T-shirts or whatever. When actually, good for them- theyā€™re a better person than I am.
I think some people need to take a long hard look at their own choices before slagging off other peoplesā€™.

8 Likes

Iā€™m going to get a beanie that says: ā€œFinds it hard to commit to a long term relationshipā€.

Thatā€™s my lifestyle choice for a while now.

1 Like

I know. And itā€™s not specifically him, or vegans, Iā€™m cool with that itā€™s just evangelical types in general are a bit annoying. But not heā€™s not doing anyone any harm so more power to him I guess.

1 Like

This is why I donā€™t get annoyed by Jehovahā€™s Witnesses, imagine if you were convinced you knew how to get into heaven and earn eternal bliss, you can either keep that to yourself or tell as many people as possible, and it seems to me the nice thing to do it tell other people.

7 Likes

Vegans havenā€™t started going door to door though have they. Think thatā€™s the bit that annoys people about the JHā€™s.

Donā€™t know anything about the case, but would this open the door for similar things? Ethical communism next plz.

Ethical shitposting

3 Likes

You have my support

6 Likes