Euro 2020: THE FINAL - Fallout of the Not-Homecoming

Think I would have preferred a 3-0 thrashing, which is what I was expecting, than this.

4 Likes

I hope Luke Shaw is still able to have a nice birthday today. Hope he gets an ice cream.

18 Likes

Everyone else’s reaction after the Shaw goal a cheer and then an immediate ‘fuck, scored too early’?

• Of course
  • No
  • Not an England fan but polls are class

0 voters

Just want the sport to start again. Today is a wasteland. Considered checking in on Durham vs Notts. Pissing with rain isn’t it!

I’m maybe the most consistently correct poster on the boards, and I get almost no remuneration for that.

5 Likes

Nah.

Sometimes there’s just a vibe and inevitability about some teams and England had that. Italy looked pish for the next 43-odd minutes and but even before their (first-half) averageness was evident, it just felt like England would absolutely piss it in and win 3-0 or something pretty fuckin ludicrous (this is England – not, yknow, any other big footballing nation).

I’m a massive football fan and essentially a dual Aussie-Pom, but as it went on more and more I really wanted Italy to win it. They just play cool footballer.

England have sort of been beige bed wetters in terms of personality tbh.

been covered, but sitting back and going passive with a 1 goal lead that early in the match was madness.

13 Likes

someone (probably duncan alexander) mentioned the other day that if both teams miss a penalty then the side that misses first normally ends up winning

England ceded a bit too much possession, but Italy really weren’t some free flowing attacking powerhouse, they created what? One really good chance from open play, and the goal was the 3rd ball from a set piece

4 Likes

Yeah it’s really not that hard.

Even a non-football fan can see it.

Jordan fuckin Henderson when you’re 1-1 with 25 minutes to go and with a home crowd, everything going for you… doesn’t matter if you subbed him for pen takers, bringing on someone you ultimately sub back off is just such a scared, break-even move.

Southgate could be seen as bold: allowing teenagers to take integral kicks. But then he does boring shit like that and coupled with his deadshit attitude and boring personality just leads me to think his ‘bold’ decision are just really really stupid ones.

3 Likes

was relatively chilled about England losing, done well to get to the final, got super close, Italy are very good etc. until I found out the results of the predictions competition at work and Italy winning means it’s been won by an absolute jerk of the highest order.

Southgate out

2 Likes

Have seen Ireland do it so, so much over the years and it never works.

5 Likes

Not sure how much was sitting back and how much was Italy taking control of midfield. Probably an amount of both but the latter is definitely a big part of it.

Basically was the same flow as Spain - Italy but with Verratti as Busquets

10 Likes

no offence, but going through all the ‘coming home’ instagram stories last night, and all of them abruptly ending around the same time

9 Likes

Think you’re bang on here. Italy took control and England were more than happy to retreat and defend what they had until half time.

Mount over Saka/Sancho/anyone with the threat of running in behind played into Italy’s hands. England’s only out ball in Sterling was easily nullified and let the Italians push higher up the pitch without much risk at all of being punished.

Someone on here last night said something along the lines of ‘Southgate must have given the worst half time team talk of all-time’. I mean there can be a lot of factors that could have caused it but England looked pretty deflated until the 70th minute or so when the subs came and had a brief impact.

1 Like

Oh no I just remembered shearer singing Sweet Caroline

(Tbf im quite on board with England+Sweet Caroline, remember the alternative is the great fucking escape)

He owes me royalties then

1 Like

i thought even though both players were poor England started to look better when Henderson and Saka came on. looked like the most likely winners for a few minutes there

Italy were definitely the better side overall but the game had quite a few ebbs and flows

6 Likes

This. Analysis of England deciding to sit back is incredibly myopic, Italy had a much better midfield and that told over the majority of the game. All of this stuff about how England should’ve been more dynamic stinks of ‘why are you playing Carrick when you could have Scholesy as well as Lampard and Gerrard out there’

4 Likes

How did Grealish get on