European Football Championships Thread (July16-Aug 6th 2017)

A proper football tournament

So yesterday the Euros got underway with the Dutch hosts dominating in a 1-0 win over the Norwegians courtesy of a 66th minute header from Liverpool’s Shanice van de Sanden in front of a 22,000 strong crowd in Utrecht

Elsewhere in group A, in a much more physical game, Denmark also bagged 3 points with an early headed goal from a set piece against Belgium after Sanne Troelsgaard was first to rise in the box when Pernille Harder’s free-kick was tipped on to the crossbar.

two good games

This afternoon sees Group B games get under way with Italy taking on Russia and the favourites, reigning Euro & Olympic Champions, Germany take on Sweden this evening in a repeat of 2013’s semi-final.

In fact the Germans have won every Euro since 1995 & probably only France can stop them this time out though, as always in a major football tournament England believe it could be their year

The big change for Germany this time out is their coach; Steffi Jones replaces long time hero of German football Silvia Neid. Jones has never coached before taking this national role but as a veteran defender with 111 caps & 3 Euros, 1 World cup & 2 Olympic bronze she’s clearly no novice on the world stage. (not to mention her 6 German League titles, her 4 German cup titles & her 2 Champions League titles - all with FFC Frankfurt)

Swedish TV had a good reportage with the German team talking about the changes in training and approach under Jones vs under Neid and if anything it seems this new German squad is younger, stronger faster & more unified than ever under Jones. We’ll see

I’m tipping a France v Germany final but can’t call it either way

FOOTBALL

hurrah for summer tournaments

Uh oh…

Fuuuuuu

:'D

I was too busy writing mine and checking stats that I didn’t see the @aboynamedgoo had already posted

hmm