Ever called 999?

If there are very personal examples then you may not feel like sharing, that’s obviously okay.

I just called 999 for the first time and asked for the police. I just dropped some friends off after a night out and was getting myself a McDonalds wrap as a “reward”. As I pulled up to eat it, a woman tapped on my passenger window, said something inaudible, then tried the door. This freaked me out a bit (I had only locked the doors seconds ago)…so I’m a bit ashamed to say I shouted “go away” at her…she looked desperate, for want of a better word, and said something else (looked like a plea) before moving on. I then saw her try the door of two other cars (one of which had a single occupant who was clearly taken aback by the woman)…before ambling off in the middle of the road towards two petrol forecourts.

Idk…I thought it was odd behaviour but also she was clearly in distress…so I don’t know if I made the right call with the police. I spoke to dispatch for around 15 minutes, tracking her moves while I waited for the police to arrive…when they did she immediately went up to them and entered the rear seat after about one minute of talking. They then drove off.

I hope her willingness to go with them is a good sign, I just hope she gets whatever help she was after because it wouldn’t sit right if I’ve basically grassed on someone who was clearly in need.

Off to bed now. Bit of a rambly thread. Be interested to hear other experiences.

Yeah but only for ambo. 3 times I think, 2 of which were due to my atd having life threatening diabetic fits.

That must have been pretty scary :confused:

have never had to do the dialling/speaking myself but been present for a couple of 999 calls. at least once at uni when my diabetic friend was mad hypo after a boozy night (thankfully i wasn’t there the night he was hit by a car and broke his leg)

and more recently when someone set a bin on fire behind our house

A couple of times, yeah.

• after being advised to do so by NHS 111 for Mum a few years back - nothing life threatening, but extremely painful for her.
  • two year old girl pinned under a 4x4 while I was waiting for a train to go to work - rapid response arrived while I was still on the phone, never found out what happened once they turned up.
  • gentleman I’d guess in his 60s collapsed outside McDonalds on the local high street. Suspect it was dehydration as it was a mega hot day, but on talking to him it turned out he had recently been discharged from hospital after a heart condition was treated, so called for a precautionary ambulance and waited with him until they were able to arrive. Sadly he had no family local that I could call for him either.

(should point out i liked this due to similar situations to mine and not cos of any particular enjoyment of the post)

A few times yeah, but mostly through this part time job I’ve had for the past two years at the local students union – we call for help if someone gets hurt or is drunk out of their mind and so on. (Also had a few fire alarms but then they just turn up regardless.)

First time I had to call for an ambulance while at work was when the place had closed for the night and I was going around locking all the doors etc., and saw some people standing around outside the main entrance – they had just walked past and saw this girl curled up asleep/unconscious on the concrete just outside. Me and the security people who were still there tried to make contact with her and stuff but she was just completely gone. Ambulance came and picked her up and I can only assume it all worked out for the best. I’ve had to call for several ambulances since then (and as such have many more stories) but that was the first one so I was really high on adrenaline and just remember it very well.

One thing I only learned during a first aid course at work is that when you do call emergency services, the very first thing you should always say is just your location (rather than going straight into explaining whatever the situation is etc.). Cause then, if the line gets cut off or whatever, at least they can locate you and send someone. Seems really obvious once you think about it, but I literally went through 30 years of being alive before becoming aware of this.

Quite a few times. First time was when I was about 13 and playing cricket on the school playing fields during the summer holidays. Some other kids managed to set fire to some of the playing field so we had to call the fire service, from a nearby resident’s house.

Other times: nasty looking domestic row outside our window; man stumbling his way down a particularly dangerous stretch of the A10; woman with broken ankle in the Norfolk countryside; another row outside our house. Maybe one or two other times.

Hope you’re okay @wonton and not shaken up. Think you made the right decision.

My daughter had this thing called a febrile convulsion in August. I’d never heard of it before but when a toddler gets a very high temperature, their body can’t regulate the heat like and older kid or adult can, so it goes into a fit instead. It happened just after midnight one night, thankfully just as we were going to bed and my wife spotted it on the baby monitor.

It started with one of her arms flailing and this choking sound from her throat and by the time we’d got into her room, her eyes were rolled back in her head, her whole body was in spasm and the choking noise had gotten really severe.

To be honest, I thought we were losing her and I wasn’t able to even talk to the dispatcher I was that distraught so my wife had to talk in the end. The convulsions lasted about 12 minutes and when they stopped, she couldn’t respond to us or keep her arms up and I thought then that she had brain damage. The dispatcher was on with us the whole time and told us to keep her in the recovery position at this point. After another five mins or so she snapped back into proper consciousness and cried for her momma. By the time the ambulance arrived about an hour later, she’d made pretty much a complete recovery but they brought her in to the hospital to check her out anyway. The scariest night of my life easily. The next day she woke up like nothing strange had ever happened and had loads of energy.

It was absolutely terrifying but the dispatcher and the ambulance crew were wonderful.

Yep.

And then more recently when I saw a man unconscious in the street when I’d nipped to the shop for a packet of Revels. There were a couple of people gathered round but they clearly didn’t have a clue wtf to do so I went and got my first aid trained gf to sort it out. Think he’d probably just had too much to drink, but he also had a bunch of cuts and bruises on his face so thought better safe than etc.

Since last time we did this only once more, when I saw a car burst into flames. Got absolutely sassed by the operator:

“999, which service do you require?”
“Hi, a car’s just caught fire!”
"…fire service then?"

But enough about your farts!

:grimacing:

Couple of times:

Called an ambulance in London after an old lady fell off the back of a bus. The driver was a total fucking weapon, just said ‘it’s not my fault’ and drove off (which it wasn’t his fault, but maybe he could have done something to help). This was back before most people had mobiles, so had to run to a shop.

Had chest pains at home a few years ago, googled my symptoms and got the Ministry of Health saying best call an ambo, so I did. Everyone was super professional, but basically I wasn’t having a heart attack, and I was incredibly unlikely to have one in the near future.

Called the police once whilst watching a guy break and enter into a house in Brighton. He was out and gone before they got there.

Called for an ambulance several times- most recent was for a woman who’d collapsed in the road I was driving up. Had her sitting in my car by the time they got there as she was able to move independently and it was bloody freezing. They took her to hospital.

Other times were for my old man because he’s a crazy drunk who was good at breaking the falls he was having when we last lived together with his face.

Yeah. Woman getting beaten up by her boyfriend outside our flat. There are big metal gates at the front of our building so we managed to get her into our flat away from him before ringing the police.

Have had to call police and ambulance a load of times during bar shifts too

I had that a bit
"Hello 999"
“My boyfriend cut his hand and now he’s having a seizure!”
"… and which service do you require?"

Last night I started bumbling on about the situation waaaay before they had chance to ask me for the service…

@Antpocalypsenow?

Could not even begin to imagine what that experience was like. I know nothing of the condition but I hope it’s well managed and you don’t have to go through that again.

Cheers, in the cold light of day it seems a lot less serious than it felt at the time. Still wondering what she was after (maybe she was stranded and needed to get somewhere…in which case that’s ok because the police car went the opposite way to me)