Ever had any brushes with fate?

Key moments in your life that could have gone one way or the other?

I can only think of the time I was held at gunpoint and the time I was nearly squished by a stack of Royal Mail crates.

Oh I guess at one point I wanted to be an actor but then they only cast me as the wolf in The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe so fuck 'em!

1 Like

I’m sure some of you have led much more interesting lives so would be cool to hear fun stories

1 Like

I got run over in Brixton once, was completely fine but could’ve been completely dead.

3 Likes

No mate I have not been held at gunpoint

7 Likes

any fun stories though?

woah, that sucks, glad you were ok though. Bet that was quite a shock!

1 Like

Yeah, had an absolutely glorious chance at the back post in a primary school game against our closest village in year 4 which would have given the school our first victory in years and I completely fucked it.

Genuinely think I am a completely different person with a completely different life if I just slot it home but I fucked it.

11 Likes

but you wouldn’t know the sweet taste of humble pie

When I climbed Ben Nevis it took way longer than expected and i got impatient to get back down quicker and tried sliding down the side of a few sections and in one I just went arse over tit and rolled a couple of times and for real thought I was a goner. Did absolute wreck my boots and had to hobble the rest of the way. Oops.

3 Likes

That’s true but I would know the delicious taste of victory and heroism so maybe the taste of humility would be sour and disgusting to me in that timeline

1 Like

oh god, I hate heights, probably would have died from a heart attack anyway

None where I’m aware of a significant near-miss like yours. Best I can give you is that a few Glastonburies ago I was dancing unawares right next to Tilda Swinton, so who knows how things might’ve turned out for me if I’d turned round and our eyes had met.

2 Likes

good stuff. might have stood on her toes and made her cross!

1 Like

somebody here has probably auditioned for a famous TV role right? Like Dr Who or something?

With the state I was in, that would have been a very strong possibility

1 Like

While trying to clean the gutters on our house, my extension ladder gave way about 25 feet up due to a huge wind gust. Had to let it go and drop down. Thankfully it was on grass and not concrete. Only really twisted my ankle.

Also been in the bucket of a boom lift about 60 feet up when the hydraulic hose snapped and dropped me about 30 feet. Luckily had a harness and lanyard on for that one.

1 Like

guess you’re ok with heights then!

1 Like

I have had brushes fated to be painted with and others fated to brush hair (haha!)

3 Likes

Almost got squished by a lorry once on my way to a waitressing job. It blew through a red light, I had my earbuds in, the driver was turned in his seat talking to his mate who then saw me and tried getting his attention. I just about hopped out of the way and the sensation of the whoosh as the truck passed right by me shook me up pretty big but I had to go dish out mediocre pizzas and pasta dishes at a chain restaurant in Ilford so there was no time to dilly dally.

9 Likes

I was a silly 13yo running across the road without looking and was hit. I flew up in the air and smashed their windscreen and rolled off the bonnet and landed hard on the ground. What saved me was my ass length hair in a big bun which took the shock of the fall. I was bruised but fine. I even ran home. Thank you God for giving a little dumbass like me another chance :pray:t5:

8 Likes