Ever seen in famous sportspeople in person?

I once saw David Beckham playing football at Old Trafford.

7 Likes

Once saw Usain Bolt win the 100m at the Olympics.

I wonder if anyone here’s ever seen Ricky Otto.

1 Like

Saw Gazza in a pub drinking and smoking at a pub in 1998 (with Chris Evans, Danny Baker, Five Bellies and Danny Kelly) before he was left out of the squad

3 Likes

I once saw Serena Williams playing tennis at Old Trafford

1 Like

Saw Peter Crouch at Alton Towers once.

This is true, him and Abby Clancy were queuing for the ride next to Oblivion - I forget the name of it, but its one that spins upside down.

1 Like

I’ve seen Roger Black at a load of Roddy Frame gigs.

2 Likes

Was stood behind gazza at the bar at a dry slope ski centre on Sunday.

1 Like

Saw Messi on a Champions League victory parade bus

1 Like

I’ve seen both Terry Griffiths and Sam Warburton in John Lewis (not at the same time).

Once saw Andrew Flintoff in a Chinese restaurant. He’s enormous.

Basic rule of thumb for celebrities when you see them in person is that actors are always tiny and sports people are always massive.

5 Likes

Saw Xherdan Shaqiri driving his Tesla once, driving in the opposite direction to what we were going.

1 Like

Saw Ricky Hatton absolutely smashed in a bar in Manchester. We thought it would be funny to get a photo with him, he said me and my friend were “punching” in terms of who we were with, felt good to get a boxing metaphor from an actual boxer. Then A Little Respect came on, he put his arm around me and shouted “what a tune” in my ear. Weird night.

Also played football with Dave Edwards (alright, stretching famous a little bit here) He threaded a beautiful through ball to me, I miscontrolled it and it went through to the keeper.

6 Likes

Note, mine are all players from when Stoke City were in the Premiership so used to occasionally see them around the area.

Second this. I once bumped into the West Indies cricket team in a bar and despite me being quite tall myself it was like walking amongst the na’vi from Avatar.

3 Likes

Went to the Grand National once with my dad. He was positioning himself to take a photo of me and my uncle when he walked backwards into Alex Ferguson.

Met Craig Brown (former Scotland manager) a few times around Ayr when i was growing up, my mum had worked with him in some capacity so we stopped and chatted a few times. He gave me a copy of the Guinness Book of Records some time in the 80s.

1 Like

Once met Teddy Sheringham at a travel expo at the Excel centre.

I suppose it’s to do with the context you see them in. I always think of Joe Root being small, for instance, but he’s six foot tall.

2 Likes

Yes

Dalton Grant outside Walthamstow tube

Blanka Vlasic at a garden centre

Patrik Sjöberg at a restaurant

At that’s just the high jumpers!

2 Likes