Ex-Smokers of DiS unite

UGHHH WHY CAN’T THEY JUST INVENT CIGARETTES THAT AREN’T BAD FOR YOU THIS IS 2020 AFTER ALL

Hi, my name is whiterussian and I’ve only had 5 cigarettes between late January and now. Been out for a few drinks tonight and hate everything. Good thing I was with my sister so I would be way too ashamed of myself if I’d had a smoke.

14 Likes

i actually caved recently and bought a pack and found them quite disgusting so it’s much easier now

hi5 tho

5 Likes

Hi I’m the_ravens and I’ve been a smoker on and off for over 30 years. It’s been 7 months since I smoked

4 Likes

Hello it’s now 7 years and 2 months since I smoked a cigarette and I still miss it.

6 Likes

I’ve never managed that long, well done! I remember an old boss saying she hadn’t had a cigarette for 25 years and still felt like she’d snatch one from someone’s mouth at times

2 Likes

Good evening.

I ‘gave up’ approx 12 years ago. Still crumble occasionally and have one on a night out (less so recently obvs, fingers crossed). Still miss it.

1 Like

My problem is that if I crumble it usually kicks off a 6 month plus relapse. I feel like I can’t afford many more of those :frowning:

3 Likes

This is my fear :sleepy:

2 Likes

Didn’t enjoy the 2 I had sometime in June. Then had 3 one night in late July and quite enjoyed them :broken_heart:

2 Likes

I’ve had those 6 month+ relapses in the not so distant past. However, approaching my mid-40’s seems to have focussed my attention somewhat.

Best of luck.

3 Likes

Same, they feel more dangerous these days. To be fair they’re a lot rarer now

3 Likes

I was a smoker of 13 years. Gave up on March 17th 2007 after an Arcade Fire gig at Brixton.

I went cold turkey and oddly never smoked since.

11 Likes

That’s very impressive.

4 Likes

I gave up 24 years ago and I still fancy one every so often

5 Likes

Almost looking forward to winter just so we won’t all be sitting outside all the time :joy:

1 Like

Problems with the Internet. Might be a duplicate post.

I had a heavy chest and felt bad for about six months after waking up before finally quitting. That night was a tipping point.

That night I remember throwing away about five lighters from the bottom of my rucksack as well as half a packet of cigarettes as well as half a pouch of Golden Virginia.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m the complete opposite of anything close to healthy at the moment. I drink far more than I should for well over a decade now unfortunately.

1 Like

Used to fucking love smoking. Then about 9 years ago I moved to Australia and cigarettes are like 25 bucks a pack so I had to teach myself not to love them anymore as I didn’t have a spare 150 dollars every week. Weirdly can’t stand them when I have succumbed to drunken temptation now.

Therefore, smokers: to quit simply move to Australia.

9 Likes

Haven’t smoked for 4 years now

Miss it very very occasionally but then I remember all the fucking shit that comes with it and then how expensive it is and then how horrible my brother (who still smokes) sounds coughing in the morning and then I don’t miss it in the slightest.

Wish I’d given up twenty years ago. Fuck fucking smoking.

4 Likes

Definitely noticed that in Italy last year. Nowhere near the activity of a social pariah like it is over here. Just masses of healthy young attractive people smoking when and where they like.

1 Like

Hello. Been about 6 months i reckon.

There are still a couple of friends where i know ill end up smoking if i go out for a few beers with them. But enjoy it less each time. Pure habit/social now.One of these days i guess i might stop for good…

Still, prob only smoking about 50 a year on average over the last 5 . Not too bad.

2 Likes