Excel question

I’ve got a spreadsheet that always asks me if I want to save it when closing, even if I haven’t made any changes. Only one I use does this, all the others will just close if nothing has been done on it. What’s the deal there then?

Hello Larry,

What is the file extensions of the attachments?

If the file is in the .XLS format then make a copy of this file and save it in a .XLSX format and check how it works.

To make a copy of a file open the Excel file > click on ‘View’ > click on ‘New Window’ under ‘Window’ group, save it with the different format and with a new name.

Let us know the result to assist you further.

Thank you.

CSV files do that every time, is it one of those?

Here’s a much more interesting question (no offence!) but every time I set a print area I have to go in and set the margins to zero. Margins are waz man. There is not setting to make this permanent.

What’s the deal @billgates?

.xlsx

Larry, no need to worry. This behaviour is generalyy caused by formulas using volatile functions.

Example, suppose I have the formula =TODAY(). This will get updated whenever I open the worksheet (even if I do it three times in the same day). Excel treats this as a change, hence the Save enquiry.

Experiment with a new workbook with blank worksheet(s) other than the one formula =TODAY()

Save it, reopen it, and immediately close the workbook.

best wishes

Bernard

PS visit http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretsi.htm to se a list of volatile functions

I’ve got =INDIRECT() in use, so that’s causing it then?

Visit my webpage to get my email address and send me the file

best wishes

Excel thing I learnt recently, in a sumproduct formula the relative position of the cell with the formula in to the ranges it refers to will make a difference to the result, even if you fully anchor it with $$$'s two cells with identical formula will have different results, this shook my faith in everything I thought I knew about excel

Holy mother fucking shit:

I was hoping it would take effect on all my workbooks but it is only those that you start afresh. Still better than a kick in the nuts.

Now I could also have it so that every new workbook flashes ‘Hi Balonz you handsome devil’ when you open it.

Need to get into the full roaster’s directory next time he leaves his computer unlocked.

You could have your excel game all ready to go whenever you open up a new file, quick game before you get to work.