Exercise induced urticaria

Does anyone else get this? Exercising (running mainly) gives me hives and horrible itching, sometimes so badly that I have to stop completely. Because my skin is brown it doesn’t go red but the welts are there. Just wanted to know if anyone else deals with this, I thought its because I’m unfit but it seems to be a thing that anyone can get regardless of their fitness levels. It’s so uncomfortable

Probably not the same thing but I get itchy legs when walking if I haven’t been walking much. If I’m used to that amount of walking then it doesn’t happen. Apparently that’s due to capillaries expanding. It does put me off going for long walks. I don’t run but I imagine running would be the same, but I haven’t had it with any other type of exercise.

I get it mainly on my scalp and back when i start to sweat, e.g. walking or cycling in the heat or in winter when i’m wearing too many clothes. really annoying and uncomfortable. stops after a while though and I don’t get it when i do heavier exercise weirdly

Its so weird how it’s only some exercises, gym stuff doesn’t do anything it’s just fast walking and running

1 Like

I can imagine that must be really uncomfortable, itching is so annoying, I can ignore pain but not itchiness

1 Like

I think I do but I didn’t realise that this is what what caused it.

I didn’t know until years later too, its good to know because if it gets unbearable you can take antihistamines, and if you have a food allergy or antibiotics allergy, consume something that causes a mild allergic reaction then run, it can lead to anaphylaxis so it’s good to be mindful if you have allergies

1 Like

Yeah I’m glad you’ve shared this, I always thought it was anxiety causing it or related to a minor skin condition that I’ve had.

1 Like

Yep! Often where my watch is and it’s sweaty but if it’s a heavy session then just anywhere I’m sweating.

Annoying but I’ve just put it down to occupational hazard.

1 Like