Exercise

Do you do exercise?

I had no interest in it. I was thin and felt healthyish.

With getting an older and getting put on antidepressants for a sad head I have put on over a stone in a month. I want to start. But motivation is an issues. Said sad makes physical exertion seems like an impossible task.

What’s a good way to start exercising and do you have any tips on finding motivation?

No

2 Likes

I’ve tried so many times, but here’s the thing: it’s rubbish.

Genuinely find running does absolute wonders for my mental health which is why it’s all the more stupid that I constantly allow myself to get out of the habit of doing it regularly.

5 Likes

Gym 3-4 times a week, yoga once a week. Bang on about it as little as possible lest I become, y’know, that guy.

Don’t particularly set aside time for exercise as fuck that, but I cycle for transport every day which means that I get exercise without having to really think about it. Try to walk places whenever possible too :+1:

When my feet and knees aren’t fucked (maybe 50% of the time) I mix up swimming, walking and DDP yoga.

Not as much as I should, but I’ve been really good at keeping up with it this year (but not the last few weeks). Going swimming tomorrow, can’t wait to splash about a bit.

What Ant says, pretty much word for word

• find something you enjoy. no point forcing yourself to do something you’ll hate because each time will be a struggle of guilt and cba-ness. there’s such an array of activities / solo sports / team sports / solitary exercises / group exercises these days.
  • push through the pain barrier - first 3-5 sessions of anything won’t be much fun. when I started running I ran about 2.5km, felt sick and then got the bus home. now a 10k is just a normal run.
  • find ways to make it relaxing / transcendent. i run, swim and play footy. swimming and footy handle themselves but I would hate running if I didn’t listen to music.
  • embed it in your routine until you start to miss it.

the key is really just finding something you like, sticking at it for a while, pushing through the initial resistance from your body; once you actively look forward to it then you’re up and away

2 Likes

Yes. I go to the gym about 4-5 times a week. Twice with a PT, and then a mix of doing my own thing and classes. I’m a bit all or nothing though in that I won’t go for months and then when I do go I’ll go all the time.

I highly recommend running as a mental health boost. When I used to run it was a brilliant way to clear my head and made me feel really good and relaxed. Struggling to get back into it now as I’m focusing more on the strength side of things.

For motivation - maybe try taking up a sport or set yourself a target or event to aim to. A few years back I decided I would do a triathlon in about six months, told everyone about it so I couldn’t back out and it was great motivation to keep working toward a target.

This is a good point. The first few sessions always suck. Make it past there and you’ll enjoy it.

1 Like

Yeah, loads. Just have to find what works for you.

Did none for like 38 years and now I worry I’d actually have some kind of breakdown if I couldn’t climb. It’s done wonders for my mental and physical health.

1 Like

ride bikes

think i might have mentioned it on here before

Everyday that I’m able to. Nothing huge. Just a ten minute session on my rowing machine at home or a ten minute aerobic set I got from YouTube. Both are nothing strenuous but are great exercises. I also do very light weights. After all, I’m a 42 year old that posts on DiS. A geeky nerdy look is essential for me.

My only real regular exercise is walking about 11,000 steps a day, via my commute and lunchtime stroll, which is probably more than most do, but isn’t enough to offset what I eat, sadly, and is hardly high intensity.

Used to run a couple of times a week and did a half marathon, but I never really enjoyed it, and it’s been a while now, though I should probably force myself back into it.

Have started playing five a side football for an hour a week with colleagues, which can be fun but probably doesn’t make much difference.

Would like to go to a gym and try lifting weights and stuff but I’d be embarrassed and am not sure when I could do it.

Yeah loads, to the point where I feel quite wrong when I don’t do any. As echoed upthread it does absolute wonders for my scumbag brain and general disdain towards my body

1 Like

Very often fall out of the habit though and then wonder why my head is a fog and I don’t feel at all myself

I walk a lot, try and do a couple of 8-10 mile walks every fortnight if I can, listening to audiobooks. Thinking about taking up geocaching again.

Usually do a bit of swimming once a week or so, play football with my son once a week and had my first cricket net in 22 years last weekend which was incredibly intense. Got my first match next weekend.

I’m far from fit, but I try and do a bit of active stuff.

True. I’m constantly/chronically tired due to a shit job that I’m leaving soon. It’s my short bursts of exercise that makes me feel slightly healthier both mentally and physically.

1 Like

Got a spinning bike that I’ve been using like 3 times a week for a few years. I don’t do it properly, just get sweaty and raise my heartbeat by going flat out for as long as I can, which is probably really bad. About 10 months ago I was moaning about something, as I’m verily often known to do. I can’t actually remember what, but anyway, my wife suggested I start using those dumbbells I’d bought a few years earlier. Eventually I got going and have been using them a few times a week ever since. only got a few moves nailed on them but I can definitely see some results in both my physique and self confidence. Put together a bench the other day, which i might also for exercise as I really want to work harder on my visceral fat, which even when I couldn’t afford to eat at uni, never went away, and makes me really self conscious about taking off my t-shirt. That said, I realised for the first time ever, on the 24th of November last year, that I actually felt happy with my body, so I’m really pleased with myself for getting into a good routine and very grateful to my wife for giving me the encouragement that I needed. I should add, that she’s always loved my body even when I was many stone heavier and the encouragement was just because she knew I wanted to be healthier.