Extracurricular spreadsheets

Integrated to do list/budget/providers and renewal dates/running total of money we owe each other.
Its quite beautiful really

Impressive. My record is 53 a couple of years ago, last year a dropped to 45, before that on average 35 a year. So get my monies worth and still see most things I want to (and loads of random stuff).

One of my favourite nerdy maths/computer science facts.

tried to do this for a while but it was too boring even for me

1 Like

Living 4hrs away from your partner gives you a looooot of time to fill.

(Also, I like a good Sunday double bill.)

(Also, I have pretty low standards.)

2 Likes

Another thing that was always on my to do list.

Started trying to do the weekly alteryx community challenge

yeah, i aim to at least get my money’s worth out of it

Oh god I’ve gone full tory in this regard recently. My “life admin” spreadsheet has the following tabs:

HMRC Tax Year Calcs - where I work out how much I gotta pay THE MAN and how to avoid paying more than I should.

Bank Balance Tracker - I get paid irregularly so I need to make sure I’m not about to go massively overdrawn so this shows upcoming spends regular and not. Goes well into 2020. Vertiginous.

Worked Days Log - I’m naturally inclined to be lazy so gotta make sure I’m on track to work my minimum target

RENT - actually contains all household expenses now that I live alone an am in charge.

Portfolio Snapshot - ALL MY MONEY. Having cake > eating it

Scottish Widows - value of my pension (depressing)

HSBC Debit, Sainos, Post Office - credit cards and bank accounts with each spend categorised

Mortgage Hypotheticals - how much I could spend on a house based on a few scenarios, like with someone else or not (depressing)

1 Like

I’ve got one for my blood pressure measurements (always comforting to see that it’s at a good level compared to how it was when I started taking the measurements). There’s another one to track holiday costs and bookings for our upcoming Australia trip.

Oh, and there’s a google sheet that I fill out with the Shepherding rota too.

In non-financial business, I recently created a spreadsheet that would list all my clothes and what I wore each day in a bid to work out what to get rid of. I enjoyed creating it but filling it out each day felt a bit obsessive. I did help me to get a pile of quite nice stuff together to go to the charity shop though, that I didn’t previously have the heart to get rid of.

6 Likes

tremendous stuff

1 Like

MORE LIKE MCExcel-lent thread

As well as your usual spendings file, I quite like doing them for Political stuff, and would like to do more of this if I had the time (I do have the time, reeally).

• Did one for Brexit, which saved me lots of anguished watching on the night. Basically took a collated list of the “expected results” for a 50/50 vote from each area (from Ashcroft Polling or UK Polling Report - I forget which), then filled in with the regions as they came in - think I saw about 20 coming in, and thought “fuck this”, then went to sleep.
  • Also have one that splits out every constituency vote from the last election, to show exactly who voted for what/where, with a pie chart and everything.
  • Have electoral data going back a few elections, which I’m doing nothing with atm. Should look into that, too.
  • Went to a meeting tasked with looking into Government figures / data-mining for journalistic purposes, but since I switched jobs and am no longer a (tenuously connected) NUJ member, I don’t feel like I should.
3 Likes

Said to someone in passing that Man City have got over a hundred (male) players, they said that was bollocks, so i spent several hours researching when hungover. 102. I think we all know who the real winner is here (blue’s out on loan, red’s long-term injured). Not bad for someone who doesn’t like football.

2 Likes

A good way to do this is put all your clothes on coathangers facing the wrong way so when you take some thing out and wear it/ wash it you then put it back in “the right way” - hook pointing towards the back of the wardrobe. Then in 3 months time if you see clothes on hangers facing the “wrong way”/ hook pointing towards you, you know they’ve not been touched or moved in 3 months/ chosen amount of time.

Seems less tedious

It’s a rich, varied life, isn’t it

1 Like

@willum i always put stuff back in the wardrobe at the same end, so my stuff is basically organised in order of how often it gets worn. if you want you can add a marker like a different colour hanger and then after 6 months you know all the stuff on one side of the marker has been worn and all the stuff on the other side hasn’t been.

doesn’t work with stuff that isn’t hung up in a wardrobe but if you’ve got drawers or whatever other storage you can probably still tell what doesn’t get worn by what’s at the back/at the bottom. or put a sheet of paper in there as a divider and then after 6 months you know anything under/behind the paper hasn’t been worn.

I’m high as a kite and worrying about whether i’ve been taking my clothes rotation seriously enough.

Honestly my wardrobe rotation is mainly because my bedroom is a tip and i keep leaving stuff in front of the left hand door

I genuinely just wear the same jumper and trousers every day, then have seven pairs of socks, undies and t-shirts. When i go to change any of my underlayers and there’s none there i know it’s Sunday.

1 Like