Extremely minor recent irks

Even though I live in the Netherlands, the language we communicate in at work is English.

My boss has his spell check set to Dutch. Whenever he’s typing and his laptop is hooked up to the big screen, you see that pretty much every. single. word. has a red squiggly line under it.

He’s making a mockery of the spell checking functionality.

8 Likes

I’m getting irked at the free magazine people outside Tube stations. I know they need to earn some money so I can’t really blame them. But there are fuck loads of people streaming out of the station, people coming from other directions too, and these people stand in the middle of the pavement, sticking their arms out to give people magazines an, “Hello, I’m trying to get past you!”

I was holding my breath as I typed that. I think I really just hate crowds. And these people are making it worse.

When I say “excuse me”, I mean you AND your huge rucksack.

1 Like

Is he Dutch?

Yes, and probably has it on for the personal stuff he does or has Chrome synchronised across multiple devices.

But you can have multiple spell-check languages.

people who are editing text in Word and just hold down the left arrow for ages to move the cursor back to an earlier part, rather than holding CTRL to jump by word

3 Likes

People who send me text in Word (for me to put into InDesign) and who

-centre text using the space bar, or make a hanging indent by entering a soft return followed by the space bar to move the text along,

• or use tabs to make something go to the right of the page,

• or use multiple tabs rather than setting tabs with measurements,

• or… I could go on… and on.

2 Likes

double/triple spacing after a full stop is something I’ve noticed a lot in my current work. madness

5 Likes

We’ve been told that we’re designers and therefore not repsonsible for content. And double spacing is content. So we leave it in. Then the customer asks why there’s a big space. And we tell them: because you put it there. Some of them have now stopped doing it.

1 Like

Had a boss who put a space either side of a stop . Even to clients . Gave me a nervous twitch.

6 Likes

This is the “extremely minor recent irks” thread, not the “actual war crimes” thread.

11 Likes

Work colleague put her coat and two scarf things on the same peg as my coat, rendering my coat inaccessible, DESPITE THERE BEING TWO FREE PEGS.

Let out a massive huff as I removed her things from the peg to get to my coat.

6 Likes

No hot water on our floor. Fourth time so far this year. The facilities department (odd job man) fixes it. Then it stops again a week or so later. Have to go to another floor to make my coffee.

I have to proofread stuff like this ALL THE TIME and when you’ve got Track Changes on and everything moves around because people don’t know how to use tables to format things in Word and and and I’m sorry I’m gonna have to stop writing because my blood is boiling thinking about it

2 Likes

I think this irks me more than the actual bad translation I have to polish/completely rewrite because you don’t have to be a good translator to know how to do basic formatting in Word

OK I’m going now because I’m irking myself

1 Like

Chirk yourself, don’t irk yourself

You make your coffee using the hot water tap? You take this right over to @anon5266188 ''s coffee thread immediately.

3 Likes

We have the same situation with cold water. People are irked alright