F u g a z i

Repeater was the first album that got me into them, but it took repeated (heh) listening to ‘get’ it: I found it so trebly to begin with.

But when it clicked, boy did it click.

Best band. Bar none.

1 Like

This is a nice interview with Ian

http://www.markprindle.com/mackaye-i.htm

(our very own mug_mug_mug appears in the comments)

3 Likes

Any advice on where to start with Fugazi? I love Rites of Spring and some other hardcore stuff like Bitch Magnet, so I feel like Fugazi is the sort of band that I should like, but I’ve never been able to get into them (only really listened to “Waiting Room” and “Repeater”)

It’s almost 25 years since I saw then in Nottingham (Steady Diet tour), should have seen them again at TJs after I moved but I was completely unaware they were playing a mile down the road (still hurts to this day).

Downloaded the show from their live series, I miss these guys.

Try The Argument and go from there.

3 Likes

You’d also probably enjoy Q and not U (on Dischord) and Unwound.

1 Like

Start from the beginning, 13 Songs. Tbh though you won’t go far wrong starting with any of them

1 Like

I would genuinely start with End Hits. I’m not sure why I like it so much. Think it’s pretty accessible, there’s a range of stuff early on, and as a drummer I appreciate the drummerage.

1 Like

You mean ‘Repeater’ the song?

I think you have to listen to a whole album. The problem with 13 Songs and Repeater (+ 3 songs) is they’re both quite thin-sounding now but I think as albums they really come together. Repeater (the album) opens with a sort of trio that work together (always assumed they were a live take to be honest). If you aren’t intrigued by the time you get to track 5, Blueprint then probably go for an album like Steady Diet of Nothing or In on the Kill Taker, which are both quite a lot more straight and rocking.

1 Like

My favourite switches between The Argument and IOTKT

4 Likes

So. Fugazi are the band I’ve got the biggest disconnect between how much I feel I SHOULD like them (loads) and how much I do like them (not that much).

I’m the absolute target audience for this kind of thing. I LOVE Shellac, Unwound and lots of other noisy guitar band. I’m a big fan of socially aware lyrics, I also especially like bands with multiple vocalists (Circle Takes the Square).

When I’m listening to a Fugazi album I don’t hate it, but afterwards I struggle to remember a line of it (apart from the chorus of ‘Waiting Room’) it just seems to go into the background. I’ve tried multiple times with lots of different records but it just never seems to stick.

Anyone else in this situation? Any advice for the one record I should give another spin to?

2 Likes

Gosh. They’re one of the few bands for me where the lyrics do actually stick in my head.

Maybe try the argument again?

I can empathise though: I have a few bands that I absolutely should get (shellac & ToD to name 2) that I just can’t get into.

edit: initially put ‘stick in my end’. heh

edit 2: ffs man

2 Likes

Ok will do. I know you’re a man of taste and discernment.

I didn’t just mean the lyrics don’t stick; I mean the whole thing… like I couldn’t hum you the song once it had finished.

If only I could transfer some of my Shellac obsession over to you for a day or two in exchange for some Fugazi passion :slight_smile:

Well I think Epic Problem as I posted in the opening and actually Ex-Spectator from that album are worth listening. They’re both quite big sprawling tracks.

I’d also say Caustic Acrostic has a really good sort of hook to it. But probably if it hasn’t lit your fire it probably won’t now, when all’s said and done. We’ve all got bands everyone but us loves :slight_smile:

1 Like

watch ‘instrument’

2 Likes

Yeah maybe they’re just mine. Hey ho.

Can’t listen at work but I’ll check it out at home!

it’s just a trailer for the film. if you don’t come out of it as a huge fan then you never will be!

1 Like

I have a friend who really loves Fugazi but hates Instrument the film. I don’t quite understand why.

wow, that’s quite something