Father John Misty 2022

This is not good.

I… quite like it? Coming to this completely without having paid attention to him since 2019, but it seems alright.

To be clear, I’m on the third song so far

4 Likes

I think it is good to be honest. A bit different, a bit the same. It’s not honeybear, but that is fine he already did that. Would like to see live with an orchestra.

I’ve definitely got more into this than the last two. Can’t see it having the same sticking power for me as Fear Fun or I Love You Honeybear though.

1 Like

Full Barbican show featuring many of the new bangers.

Gave up on him a bit after a lacklustre Apollo gig (and the last album tbh) but this is interesting, particularly the ones where he sounds like he’s in Manhattan Transfer.

i saw him in Kingston last night and it was absolutely fantastic. i loved God’s Favorite Customer, thought it was a proper return to form, and the new songs sounded amazing live. think he gets a lot of undue criticism for his ‘persona’ or whatever but as far as i’m concerned he’s an incredible songwriter and the arrangements/style on the new album are super interesting to me.

8 Likes

Was this Apollo Manchester in 2017?

Fantastic gig that was

I think it’s pretty good. I saw him play the Brudenell the other night and he’s still a really great live act.

I’ve not really kept up with his stuff since Honeybear, probably dipped in and out but without massively engaging with the croonery stuff (much as I like it) can get pretty samey. Not enough uptempo Ideal Husband bangers in the last few albums to add a bit more variety imho.

Goodbye Mr Blue is one of the best songs he’s ever done. Thought it must’ve been a cover from a classic 70s songwriter such is its style. Q4 is nice and catchy too.

I find he occupies a quite interesting spot in terms of contemporary popular culture and the critical canon. Think he gets a lot of as a kind of a branching off from this. He’s so antithetical to the ‘poptimist’ in terms of who he is, how he carries himself, the style/genre.

https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1399460324521222149?s=21&t=YSpBMWbwGXpPeeQdWKL7zw

Or this kind of thing

https://twitter.com/jamesdgreig/status/1287405141080117248?s=21&t=YSpBMWbwGXpPeeQdWKL7zw

Dunno really. Maybe it’s not that deep. Anyone can dislike what they like. Feel like a lot of the criticism misunderstands him as this incredibly earnest singer-songwriter that takes himself way too seriously… when (to me, at least?) he’s obviously taking the piss and writes some good and often funny lyrics. That 6music car-crash interview felt like a good example of this.

6 Likes

Those two tweets nail it.

And this;

4 Likes

Was looking for that good “I like LCD Soundsystem AND Girls Aloud and thats extremely interesting and subversive” tweet but couldn’t find it. Those make the same kind of point though.

I really liked Fear Fun and then didn’t really bother with anything in between then and now, but I have to say that this has really grabbed me. I can see it might be different if you’ve been listening to everything in between, but coming to it relatively fresh I dig it.

2 Likes

Stuck on Pure Comedy this morning to see if it was better or different to how I remember it. No, exactly the same. Not sure you can say there’s a bad song on it, and you might be able to argue any of the individual well-crafted tracks might even stand out in another LP/context, but god it’s one-paced. 75 minutes of what feels like the same song - aside from maybe Total Entertainment Forever.

1 Like

Brighton show was great, he was in really good form and we got an awesome set list. Everything was pretty slowed down and just played with piano and acoustic guitar but never got repetitive or boring. Great stuff.

Great album

4 Likes

Really dislike him thanks

1 Like

if anyone (like me) thought they’d given up after Pure Comedy i cannot recommend God’s Favourite Customer enough

2 Likes

Listening to it now and it’s great. Assumed I must have at some point and I know the singles but think I might’ve bypassed it completely. This is much more like it.

1 Like

God’s Favourite Customer was brilliant.

I say this as a fan but this new album is a big downgrade - melodies are so much weaker. Nicely produced though.

1 Like