Father John Misty

Keep your hatred to of synthpop the Future Islands thread, pal

1 Like

This makes me want to give Grant another go.

1 Like

His lyrics are interesting but his sound is bland, bland, bland and getting blander.

Just unlistenable to me now

2 Likes

9 Likes

There’s some gripping stuff in here on first listen but some seeming dirge as well. Honeybear was one of my favourite albums though so I’m prepared to give this plenty of time to settle.

Just wish he didn’t have to put yet another line about how small/ridiculous earth is in the void of space. Loses all force the 13th time you hear it.

1 Like

I’ve never knowingly listened to him before today, so I listened to this on Spotify whilst walking about in the sun.

I enjoyed it, he sounds like Elton John, lovely.

2 Likes

it’s all a bit long and slow and sounds the same I guess

2000 years or so since Ovid taught
Night-blooming, teenage rosebuds, dirty talk
And I’m merely a minor fascination to
Manic virginal lust and college dudes
I’m beginning to begin to see the end
Of how it all goes down between me and them
Some 10-verse chorus-less diatribe
Plays as they all jump ship, “I used to like this guy
This new shit really kinda makes me wanna die”

well, I never listened to his old shit, so I’m not so sure

1 Like

Don’t know what the live show will be like for this one, there’s really not a lot on the album that he can do Jarvis Cocker impressions to.

the other week it was just him and a pianist

Just realised, Titus Andronicus did this far better on ‘Local Business’, without half as much pretension and more fun and more ‘Punk Rawk’

1 Like

Yeah, not as good. It was never going to be.

Titus Andronicus un-pretentious? Right.

I didn’t say they weren’t pretentious, just much less pretentious that FJM on this record, not that that is very hard.

1 Like

Alright, fair point

I’ve listened to this 5/6 times now. Absolutely love it. Some lush sounds and beautiful chords/textures. Surprised by the disdain it’s getting on here, but each to their own.

1 Like

Tbf everything gets disdain on here lol

2 Likes

You’re not wrong. I’m not sure if it’s a reaction to it being so hyped before release, or if people were expecting something else, or what. I think it’s majestic.

And I don’t use that term lightly. Anyway, I’m off for a majestic shit.

2 Likes

Too pianoey.