Favorite EPs of 2022

What are everyone’s favorite EP’s of 2022? Realizing I’ve barely listened to any this year. If you’re able to give a quick description and a link that would be great too.

1 Like

zakè and T.R. Jordan - Stay with Me EP

Just discovered this one in the last week or so. Melancholic ambient, very affecting.

2 Likes

Great year for EPs imo, all of these are up there with any album for my top records of the year.

Burial - Antidawn

Ambient/beatless Burial isn’t for everyone, but personally I loved this one. Sparse, atmospheric & emotional, perfect late-night headphone music.

36 - Symmetry Systems

Warm, comforting synth record, harking back to Warp’s Artificial Intelligence compilations.

KAVARI - Suture

Probably my favourite release of the year. Electronic music that goes hard.

Two Shell - Icons

Great collection of playful, upbeat bangers.

4 Likes

I’ve neglected moving the good ones out of my monthly release playlists into the good EPs of the year playlist so probably got a few to find but here’s a good few I enjoyed:

Jazz

Soulful indie-pop

K-Pop

Jazz-funk

High concept city pop.

Disco r&b

Dancefloor bangers from the experts

Dub

Global dance rhythms

Percussive techno - will cap it at one Livity Sound release for this thread but I always enjoy their artists’ output.

Also tend to love any techno coming from Voam - no exception here

Spiritual jazz

Horrorcore rap remixed for the dancefloor. Good stuff.

Afro-German Synth-pop

4 Likes

Squint - Feel It

for fans of Drug Church.

3 Likes

Worm - Bluenothing

If Maggot Brain (the song) was a death doom monolith with a hint of black metal it may sound something like this - even if you like none of those things its worth a look

Pretty Happy - Echo Boy EP

Noisy art-punk band from Cork who’ve toured with Kim Gordon. Lyrics about Beamish etc.

2 Likes

Erupt - Left to Rot

heavy metal punk (Floating Head is a good one)

Warthog

They put out a self titled ep every few years. One of the best hardcore punk bands around

1 Like

French psych pop

Wonky bedroom pop

Morricone inspired compositions, some jazz and lounge too

2 Likes

Surprised that Liz Fraser’s return got a bit lost in the shuffle over the last few months - might be because it’s only EP length. Bluedusk is in my top 5 songs of the year.

3 Likes

Blackhaine - Armour II

Best thing released this year by an absolute country mile

Jawnino - 4040 - Good Thing Bad Thing Who Knows

Dawuna - EP1

BFTT - Redefines

Was Iceboy Violet an ep or and album? There’s been absolutely loads this year. Basically if it has come from the North or been distributed by Boomkat it has been good.

3 Likes

Came here to post three out of four of these lol. Will check the Jawnino one on this strong showing!

I switch a lot with the Jawnino one I sometimes don’t know if it is just that the 1st track is so good that it drags the rest of the tracks along with it.

Doomy hard rock

IDM/Techno

Black Metal

Pop/R&B

Rock/Emo(?)

Ambient

Pop/R&B

Pop/Hip-Hop

Dance

Doomy Hard Rock

Dubstep/Jazz

House/Techno

4 Likes

If only I had a blog post about this…
Oh look! I do!

2 Likes

Ambient

Remixes from Djrum, The Soft Pink Truth and DJ Python all on one EP

Electro/breakbeat

Electronic

mu tate - Faded - crackling, static-y ambience Faded | mu tate

Kessler - Endless - pure heaters Endless EP | Kessler

Laila Sakini - Paloma - gorgeous, ethereal and all that, probs my fav of the year Paloma | Laila Sakini

Actress - Dummy Corporation - best thing actress has released in quite a while Dummy Corporation | Actress

Piezo - lsd superhero - more heaters LSD Superhero | Piezo

Skee Mask - Iss007 - Mr Mask goes ambient with delightful results - ISS007 - ISS007 | Skee Mask | ILIAN TAPE

The Soft Pink Truth - Was It Ever Real - better than the album that followed, pitch black house disco Was It Ever Real? | The Soft Pink Truth

2 Likes

Agree with this, I prefer the EP rather than the album that followed.

Pop. Closer to the sound of her debut than her more recent albums.

Alt/bedroom rock:
Francis of Delirium - The Funhouse

Very off-kilter but dazzling techno

1 Like