🇮🇪 Favourite Acts from Ireland 🇮🇪 The Vote

Girl Band
My Bloody Valentine
God Is An Astronaut
David Holmes
Undertones I guess?

Yup, it’s obviously much easier for a band to travel down from Glasgow to play London gigs on a semi-regular basis than it is to travel across from Ireland all the time

1 Like

Think this is an absolute insult, and one I give out about a lot. The person behind FMC is someone who is touted as an asset to the arts in Ireland and has national recognition as someone who fights for the arts yet they don’t pay the bands? Get fucked is what I say.

4 Likes

Seems to be a real lack of all Ireland collab in the music scene tbh.
The music press likes to ignore the North of Ireland.

Also indie promoters need to collaborate closely. Absolutely no good reason if a good small to mid level band is going to the hassle of coming to the island that as well as playing Dublin they couldn’t also get a Cork, Limerick, Belfast and Derry show. Maybe a loose association or group needs to be setup.
Heck even a lot of southern bands don’t make it up here regularly.

This is a great post and similar to what I was going to say myself. This is a country that banned jazz music in the 1930s!

No surprise that we’ve always had trouble getting our best bands out there, especially when labels like Universal Ireland are just major label clearing houses for royalties accrued in Ireland. Look how badly Bell X1 and O Emperor were treated by them for example.

2 Likes

I lived in Dublin for a couple of years in the early 00s and I heard Revelate on pub jukeboxes so many times that I basically want to kill the Frames now

2 Likes

Yeah as @Icarus-Smicarus says the missing link is a big Irish indie with a bit of clout. As is its either micro labels or major label dross. And to get any attention from across the water you have to be fucking amazing to even get playlisted amongst their dreck bands.

1 Like

There’s better reasons for this I understand :thinking:

5 Likes

Another big problem here is licensing laws. If I want to put on a late gig in Cork that runs until 02:00 I’m going to have to shell out €400 for a late extension for ONE night.

Actually, going back to the arts centre bit, the one place we could have gigs here, the Triskel Arts Centre, raised the rent so high for the indie venue a few years back that they had to close and leave the building. There are NO gigs in there now. What the fuck was the point?

Getting really riled my this thread but it’s putting some things in focus so that’s good!

5 Likes

Dunno much about the D Murphys other than they give me a headache.
I think the key thing with the Pogues is that the whole original idea of taking Irish traditional music and creating this really fast, almost anarchic version of it; stemmed from Shane’s vision, the other musicians added to it in their different ways - Fearnley’s accordion, for example, is an amazing cornerstone of their music - but it was Shane’s vision that they fleshed out.
In turn, Shane’s love of traditional music was steeped in him because he literally grew up surrounded by it - his childhood home in Tipperary was a revolving, open-door for trad sessions etc… So it’s not a case of someone saying ‘hey I’ve got an idea, I’ll mine my heritage’ - (not that you’re saying that) - it was much more natural and an integral part of him and how he grew up.
But the London diaspora element was just as vital in that unique mix that the Pogues had, as well as the punk influences that he wouldn’t have been exposed to in Ireland.

I dunno what I’m trying to say, because yeah their membership overall is very British - but when you take all the above into account as well as lyrics about Irish emigration, or Cromwell rotting in hell etc (sung by Terry Woods in fairness)- that kind of stuff wouldn’t fly at all if if there wasn’t an authentic, integral vein of Irishness, which there unmistakably is for me - without Shane there’d be no argument though…

4 Likes

Reckon post- and math- rock are genres where Irish bands have really excelled in the last 20 years or so

Redneck Manifesto
ASIWYFA
God is an Astronaut
Enemies
3epkano
Adebisi Shank

etc

2 Likes

Can add Ten Past Seven to that list, one of the best live bands I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

I’m including people who identify as Irish who were not born on the island of Ireland. Sorry if at it.

Andy Irvine
Van Morrison
Lankum
The Pogues
Planxty

and one lad who’s the opposite :smile:

2 Likes

What a shower of fucking dickheads :roll_eyes:
Yeah late openings and licensing laws are balls up here too.
Still think the indie promoters need a bit of collab. Rope in a band from Belfast, Cork, Dublin and Derry for example and put on a gig in each city. Do this at least every other month with a Rotating lineup, give the night a name, all 4 promoters pushing it - sorted!

Richter Collective had a great thing going for a while. Shame they kinda wrapped up just as I turned 18

2 Likes

Oul Ivan would choke on his enormous Newtownards Rd Ulster fryup if he heard someone call him Irish.

2 Likes

I totally get what you’re saying about the trad influences from his time in Tipperary, and he wouldn’t be the songwriter he was without that, but it’s worth pointing out that even the majority of his childhood was spent in the UK - born there, moved to Ireland shortly after that, came back to the UK when he was six (and attended one of the most traditional public schools in the country as well (until he was kicked out)).

Split the difference and call them London Irish?

including but not limited to!

1 Like

I can agree to that :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes