šŸ” Favourite albums of 2018 so far?

@weeber Thatā€™s a tough call! Iā€™ve just been playing them constantly on loop and finding them utterly fascinating. Some stuff is a little more, eh, obtuse than others. There are definitely stand out tracks on each one, like track 3 ā€œtt1pdā€ on NTS Session 3 is probably my favourite of the whole series so far, 22 minutes (!) of awesomeness :smiley:

1 Like

The Resident Advisor review recommended starting with NTS 4. Havenā€™t heard the others but I find that hard to argue with, really enjoying it.

1 Like

NTS 4 is definitely the easiest - itā€™s basically an enormous ambient session, and quite different to the first three sessions, so @weeber if youā€™re a fan of ambient things, then @prelapsus is probably right :slight_smile:

ā€œeastreā€ from Elseq 3 has some similarities to whatā€™s going on in NTS Session 4.

Wow, thanks (and to @prelapsus too). Iā€™m definitely in the mood for some ambient sounds right now. I guess that Iā€™ll start with 4 and work my way back.

Cheers both!

1 Like

Canā€™t believe I forgot the Haley Heynderickx album. Would probably come just after YLT.

Been listening to this all week, some awesome stuff on there. Cheers.

1 Like

Np! Glad to spread the good word :slightly_smiling_face:

itā€™s nice, although a little slower than some of the other parts of Offerings. Typhoon in general are a band more people should know, talk about, etc. Not just their new record but their other releases as well.

And actually Iā€™m about to put up my mid-season list and Offerings certainly is in there, along with a band Typhoon fans often love, in The Family Crest and their record The War: Act I.

Itā€™s a pretty damn near perfect record. Lush symphonic sections, soaring vocals, and catchy yet dreamy at times melodies come throughout.

1 Like

Lovely music. Not immediately sure about the singer, but he may grow on me. I was just about to add them to my spreadsheet of bands to investigate, and can see that I had added them in 2014 with a description of ā€˜Sounds nice and upbeat. Like the Leisure Society if I actually liked themā€™. Will have a full listen of the album now and possibly purchase afterwards.

My favourite new album at the moment is by a band/chap called Setec, with Cotton Bones as my favourite song, although there are a few close second place songs:

Utterly lovely sounds.

1 Like

Good call @Severed799 and @paulo13, this is massive! Cheers for the heads up

1 Like

Right? So good!

1 Like

Indeed. I think youā€™ve hit the nail on the head hereā€¦

1 Like

I skipped through this a few weeks back looking for the ā€œearly-Arcade Fireā€ bits and struggled to find them. Had another go and found one halfway through the fifth track, and maybe some of the sixth track.

sorry. that sounds petulant. itā€™s just, Iā€™m very keen to hear something that does sound like early Arcade Fire.

a wee bit aye but you apologised I guess :wink:

I just meant because there is also about 8 people in this band and they use strings and grand arrangements and things (and sing about death alot, like Funeral)

but also wtf are you doing skipping tracks, just listen to it :smiley:

I would now add Jon Hopkins and Gaz Coombs to my favourite albums of this year so far.

1 Like

On the very, very off chance youā€™re like me and inexplicably missed it for a decade until finding out about it here, The Twilight Sadā€™s Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters is kind of like a sadder Funeral that hasnā€™t been tainted by the bandā€™s future output / questionable wearing of hats.

4 Likes

Adding Tropical Fuck Storm -

Unknown Mortal Orchestra -

I dunno, the majority or their output since has been pretty shoddy. Not Arcade Fire bad tho right enoughā€¦

Confidence Man is flying up the ranks with mine after a couple more listens. Actually prefer the second half as it just descends into a sprawling dance frenzy. Thereā€™s a real Screamadelica era Primal Scream feel to ā€˜Out The Windowā€™ too, which Iā€™m liking. But the whole thing is loadsa fun