šŸ” Favourite albums of 2018 so far?

At this point

Rolo Tomassi - time will die & love will bury it
Young Fathers - Coco Sugar
Hookworms - Microshift
Courtney Barnett - tell me how you really feel
Pusha T - DAYTONA

Kanye being the biggest disappointment of 2018 so far in every sense of the word (except the Daytona production of course)

Not a heap exciting me this year so farā€¦ A Place to Bury Strangers easily leading the way:

APTBS ā€” Pinned
Daylight
Young Fathers ā€” Cocoa Sugar
Queen Kwong ā€” Love Me to Death
Superorganism ā€” Superorganism

Courtney Barnett and Preoccupations are a chance.

What do you mean by ā€œan album like thisā€ other than not getting on with it? :wink:

I think once you catch the momentum of it the time just flies by

it wasnā€™t originally for me either (though my laptopā€™s trackpad is a bit dodgy) but eventually got it to work pressing down really hard :sweat_smile:

1 Like

:joy: cool, hopefully I can batter my keyboard into submission

ooh, I like this topster thing

1 Like
  1. Ought
  2. Amen Dunes
  3. Arctic Monkeys
  4. Hookworms
  5. Parquet Courts

Discounted Car Seat Headrest as a re-release.

In no particular orderā€¦

Rolo Tomassi - Time Will Die And Love Will Bury It
Conjurer - Mire
Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of
Parquet Courts - Wide Awake
Hot Snakes - Jericho Sirens
GoGo Penguin - A Humdrum Star

Actually, that might be the order.

Really enjoying the new Johnny Marr album too, but early days.

1 Like

That Gaz Coombes album is really interesting, like it a lot. Loved Giraffes? Giraffes! Hookworm, young fathers, Christian fitness, loads of great stuff this year. Iā€™ll need to have a proper think about it.

bump.

Albums of the Year list

too soon! :wink:

2 Likes

So far (subject to change after I hear a load I missed out on over Christmas).

Parquet Courts - Wide Awake
Ought - Room Inside the World
Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love
Daughters - You Wonā€™t Get What You Want
Chief Keef - Mansion Musick

Problem with ā€˜favouriteā€™ is I tend to pick those I can listen to loads of times and get a lot of plain enjoyment out of. Loads of more interesting/experimental/etc. records that I think might be technicall better, but would be weird to say their my favourite 'cause Iā€™ve only listened a couple of times/found them a bit challenging. Probably doesnā€™t need to actually be written down as very obvious, but Iā€™ve done it now.

Have we all collectively excised Hookworms from our year end lists now, then?

Itā€™s crossed my mind, yes! But I personally wonā€™t exclude it because firstly itā€™s an individual not the band being held to account. Secondly, if you take it down to base level: weā€™re just judging the music - not the people, actions, ethics of those who made it. Thatā€™s not to say their work doesnā€™t now feel somewhat tainted.

You dont need to defend yourself, donā€™t worry

Iā€™m someone who finds it hard to separate the individual from the music so all their records have been purged from my library, sadly. But obviously not everyone is like this and nor should they feel preassured into feeling that way.

2 Likes

The main thing I would take into account about that though is that it is his lyrics and his voice which is kinda attached to his actions and statements etc. Not trying to discourage you, itā€™s your choice, just on the ā€œitā€™s a band not just himā€ front thatā€™s precisely why Iā€™d find it difficult to listen to now.

2 Likes

Late entry - probably to AOTY - for Vessel :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Late entry (potentially taking the bronze) for Amnesia Scanner. Maybe Iā€™ll hold off and just make a list in Decemberā€¦

ā€¦have you listened to the Objekt record

1 Like

Is Objekt good?! I always assumed heā€™s wank because itā€™s a crap name, which is, I think, a defensible reason to write somebody off even if it isnā€™t 100% watertight.