Favourite Characters in The Beano

i saw a numbskulls comic that referenced inside out but i cant for the life of me find it now

gnash!

also ive got a roger the dodger badge on my parka <3 thats enough replies from me in this thread for now, sean will tell me off

Didn’t the Dandy have the Jocks and the Geordies though? Also from what I remember Corky the Cat seemed to live a life of gritty misery. He never had enough money and had to look after his nephews for some reason

Yeah, you’re right, most of them weren’t particularly happy, there was always someone suffering, whether it be parents, or softies or anyone. They were never as psychedelically cheerful as TV cartoons, always grounded in reality, even the more surreal ones like Calamity James and Les Pretend.

Probably, that sense of humour is a bit quaint now.

Calamity James. Amazing bleakness for a kid’s comic.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I liked Les Pretend too. His dad was great.

We used to get Whizzer and Chips in our house. I remember precisely nothing about it though.

Biffo the Bear could talk, and the Three Bears too. Actually, most animals talked in the Beano if they were anthropomorphised.

My favourites were The Nibblers but more specifically Whiskers the cat in that strip. I still get the annual every Christmas.

Not Ball Boy?

Fucking hell…

Ball Boy was possibly the first strip that had a black character in it (Benji) - other than those which were drawn ‘a bit racist’ during the ‘golden age’.

2 Likes

Yep, Calamity James was always my favourite. Completely forgotten how dark it was though!

1 Like

Bash Street Kids and Calamity James. Been lots of comic nostalgia with Saps thread last week too.

I used to collect the annuals, got them all going back tolike 1965 or something. had a gander on ebay to see if theyre worth anything…they’re not

The Numbskulls, Calamity James, Les Pretend

What was so good about Roger the Dodger?

Yeah I didn’t really like Rodger the Dodger. At least the others were actually bullies, not smarmy wankers hiding their maliciousness behind ‘being inventive’

2 Likes