Favourite drummers

The noise Jonny Greenwood makes with his guitar.

2 Likes

Meg White…

xD

Omar Hakim
Steve Gadd
Jimmy Chamberin
John Steiner
Mick Fleetwood

Charles Hayward - his solo drum-set based gigs are captivating to watch.

another one for Stephen Morris (happy birthday today Stephen!)

Greg Saunier all day long.

2 Likes

Yer man from The National. They’re nothing without his drums.

2 Likes

Dave Lombardo
Todd Trainer
Klaus Dinger
Janet Weiss
Dave Grohl

Questlove, obvs

(The blokes off of 65daysofstatic, The Rural Alberta Advantage and Brand New as well innit)

Billy Cobham:

Max Roach:

1 Like

Enjoying Jayson Gerycz from Cloud Nothings at the moment.

1 Like

He’s somewhat fragile maybe? When @nice.squirrel and I saw Battles pre-album with her mates, one of them made a joke in the toilets about the pink shirt Stanier had put on for the gig. Sure enough, he changed it back to black for the set.

Yep, Stephen Morris. The man is a phenomenon.

1 Like

Yep, seeing Battles live is mostly about watching him at work! Sweaty, breathtaking brilliance.

1 Like

Adam Betts is certainly my newest favourite drummer. That’s some hero shit right there.

Tre Cool
Keith Moon
Virgil Donati

And this guy!

1 Like

He is so good - put on a solo show of his a while back and spent the next hour trying to pick my jaw off the floow

Steve Gadd, for feel too. Absolutely love this video, all about the negative space:

1 Like

Sounds great - I’d of gone to that, pure entertainment!

As far as modern drummers go, and for fans of stuff on the more aggressive/noiser end of the spectrum:

Brian Chippendale out of Lightning Bolt, man seems insane.
Ignat Frege, who’s in Wreck and Reference. Really great rhythms and there’s something about the drumming I just find really satisfying but I can’t articulate why. Wreck and Reference - Flight But Not Metaphor - YouTube

And lastly, Ben Koller from Converge.

1 Like