Favourite endings to films and shows (hide all spoilers!)

just any endings that really stuck with you - revealing a big twist, a perfect emotional climax, an awesome cinematic final image

Please use lots of obvious spoiler tags and blurring for this

Saint Maud

Summary

One of the most effective jump scares ever. Toys with your expectations, makes you question what’s really happening … bam! So much fire

3 Likes

There Will Be Blood - I’m finished

6 Likes

A few horror movie endings that have lingered in my thoughts for a long long time -

Saint Maud
Midsommer
The Mist
Seven

(Though expect those are all quite standard/common ones for people).

3 Likes

A Serious Man

Take Shelter

10 Likes

The fact that Heat (1995) ends with Pacino and DeNiro holding hands :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Non horror, the ending of The Lives Of Others is incredibly poignant, the moment infront of the bookstore, then Wiesler buying the book with that final line “its for me”. Wow.

4 Likes

Support the Girls

Great film, easy to watch since it’s such a relaxed vibe, but with the undercurrent of sadness and tension built into it all. So that ending … one of the most cathartic things I’ve ever seen. Puts tears in my eyes and makes me laugh all at once

(please watch Support the Girls)

1 Like

Blues Brothers - jailhouse rock DiS HGATR champion singing on the stage

i need to rewatch both of these, especially Take Shelter. Great pic choices my main anty man

1 Like

Two films I adore

1 Like

know a few people who hate this one, for the same reasons Im sure we both “love” it

2 Likes

A film that kind of works less for me now than it did when I first watched it but the final sequence is just impossibly moving

8 Likes

Some Like It Hot, with Jerry and Osgood Fielding III in the speedboat.

5 Likes

cool runnings applause GIF

5 Likes

Just got added to Mubi this weekend too! Great film.

1 Like

Yehh i can see that, its just so blunt and bleak. I thought about it for days and days after i saw it.

1 Like

Toy Story 4 - Woody realising that his kids have flown the nest now and don’t need him any more and, rather than being horrified by that as he has been for so long, finally feeling liberated, finally finding time for himself knowing that he did his job to the best of his ability :sob:

5 Likes

The entire final scene operates as its own short film IMO, masterful use of editing as a narrative device

10 Likes

Yes, GREAT choice!

3 Likes