Favourite Eurovision entries

I think this is @bamnan’s favourite too?

2 Likes

I can’t pretend to remember this, but it’s a banger - and the winning song from when Harrogate was somehow chosen to host the contest

I am possibly the only person in the world that thinks this, but the UK entry from 2010 was amazing

From the same year as Josh Dubovie, I also loved Apricot Stone, no idea why.

Also, in important Eurovision related news, you can currently watch the 1998 and 1974 contests on the BBC iPlayer.

I was working as a reporter in the part of the country where Dubovie was from and got to meet him the week before he went off. He was very nice and I was gutted when he did so badly.

I love Eurovision and watch it every year without fail but pretty much instantly forget every song the second after it finishes.

I absolutely loved this one from this year though. I think it is a genuinely great song and one of my favourites from the year.

3 Likes

I remember the show where he was chosen, it was the most shambolic thing i’ve ever seen. It all culminated in a sing-off between Josh and some other singer where the other singer was clearly better, but then they forgot the words to the song, so Josh won by default. He wasn’t a great singer, but he was properly thrown in at the deep end, must have been brutal for him. After that the UK stopped sending unknown people for a few years, i think.

You’re always going on about Apricot Stone

1 Like

Love this and love her new album, she’s wonderful

1 Like

I think they’re more or less made with this in mind really

1 Like

We’ve had the 2021 playlist in the car all summer, loaded with great bangers, it’s only because most people only ever hear them once they assume they’re disposable.

1 Like

Wrong and shut up

1 Like

not a criticism, they’re made to captivate an audience for a relatively short amount of time rather than being poured over for multiple listens

you can personally like them and listen to them loads while this still being the case
y’all are so defensive sometimes

Being a eurovision fan is a constant barrage of people telling you it’s shit, being defensive is almost a hobby

3 Likes
2 Likes

One of the best things about Eurovision is how much it upsets gammons and homophobes imho

1 Like

How has it taken this long for Fuego and Euphoria to be posted

1 Like

Just to be clear - me saying I forget the songs was not remotely me saying that I thought they were shit (although many are of course). Every year I find about half of them really enjoyable and genuinely love six or seven of them. It’s just a kind of fleeting love, like a holiday crush, rather than anything more lasting and I’m happy to leave it that way.

In my view the only bad Eurovision songs are either ones that strive too obviously to pander to a perceived ‘Eurovision formula’ (everyone sensible knows that the winner very rarely sounds like any lazy idea of a ‘Eurovision song’) or the over-earnest ballads like our unspeakably bad entry this year. Pretty much all of the rest of the songs are pretty great.

1 Like