Favourite geographical phenomena

I have done a tour round Pompeii where we were cheerfully informed that if Versuvius erupted none of us would be able get out of there before the wall of death hit us.

3 Likes

So far

1 Like

Went to Kilauea on Hawai’i about 15 years ago. Went to a lava flow making its way to the sea, poked the lava with a stick. Walked across an older flow that had solidified and saw glowing lava through a crack in the ground. One of the best experiences of my life.

1928326_8359846284_2736_n

1928326_8359831284_990_n

15 Likes

Ooh I love a good protalus rampart me

Nimbus clouds

I do hope that tour guide was able to produce some evidence to verify that hard-to-believe claim.

Ice Cavern

1 Like

Does the sea count as a geographical phenomenon? If so then that. Like a bit of sea.

No idea but the roads round there are narrow and twist through mountains or so it seemed, and we arrived on a coach so I presume it was a question of the practicality of us all trying to run through the fairly treacherous smooth stone roads of the site then getting into a vehicle and away. Vs the speed it could reach us.

I don’t know much about these things but I think the heat wall moves pretty fast?

Oh @1101010

Dykes, obviously

I love a valley. U shaped and V shaped are great, but give me a Hanging valley any day. Love a hanging valley. Good one on Arran actually.

#geographychat

1 Like

Love an erratic as well. Weird boulder in the middle of nowhere? That’s an erratic

1 Like

Came on here to say hanging valleys.

Now I’m going to have to use my backup option of corrie

2 Likes

Found glaciers incredibly boring to learn about, but they make a good landscape. Love a good cirque.

3 Likes

quite like mountains

1 Like

Apparently certain types of eruptions (including the one that fucked Pompeii) produce a wall of hot gas and dust called a pyroclastic flow. Travels between 100 and 700kmh, so depends on the coach I guess.

2 Likes

The thing about ice dropping in water on one side of the world making the water rise on the other side

Post-glacial features are a GBOGP.

216617_5669886284_175_n

@rich-t is the hanging valley you’re talking about the one to the right of Cir Mhor in my second shot? It’s a beauty. Might have a better photo of that somewhere

6 Likes

Naturally occuring nuclear reactor!

4 Likes