Favourite non 2022 LPs you first listened to in 2022

Think the artist I listened to more than any other last year was Dorian Electra, in particular this one from 2019:

Their videos are an absolute joy to behold too:

So good.

1 Like

The Blue Nile, specifically their first two albums, off the back of their HGATR. Always thought they were some kind of meat and potatoes Celtic dad rockers not Prefab Sprout meets Talk Talk dream boys. Hats in particular is an absolute all timer.

2 Likes

I’ve been making more of an effort in this area, especially where there have been new albums by artists I’ve not heard before. A sample:

I always sorta ignored Metronomy cos a lot of that late 00s/early 10s slightly dancy British indie passed me by, but my other half is a big fan, we went to see them for her birthday, and the new one was excellent, and kind folk on here recommended this as an older one. And it’s great. Just really excellent songs well made end to end. GBOL Metronomy.

Fred Thomas’s output from 2013 with the last SLGTM album through his three solo albums from 2015-18 is stunning - probably my favourite chunk of musical output of the last decade. He just captures the melancholy of adult life so much better than anyone else I know, and wraps it up in some banging songs. This suffers a bit from some weedy production (which I think is just of the time, like a lot of contemporary indie pop from then tbh) but this is another winner straight through imo.

You only want tracks 1-11 here. This was totally new to me, I was aware of Roky Erickson from when he made an album with Okkervil River in the 00s but had never really listened to anything or knew anything, but I knew this was one of those records that was a massive influence on loads of stuff I love. And it’s superb. Wild, crazy, unhinged stuff. Absolutely free in the best kind of way, they were doing exactly what the fuck they wanted and it just works.

You only want tracks 1-8 here. Calfone are just brilliant, aren’t they? I got really into Quicksand/Cradlesnakes in 2021 (wraped up in memories of a solo holiday to Falmouth, lol), this is their follow up, it’s a lot looser and I think a lot of it was improvised in the studio and it sounds like that and it’s totally fine. Another amazing record for walking around at dusk in the late summer, basically.

Heard their song Alexa! on a livestream mix in 2021 maybe?, it’s annoyingly not on this or their new album, but this is really fun anyway. They’re just quite funny, I love that sarcastic sung/spoke delivery and the absurdity of a lot of the lyrics.

Music’s good, innit.

4 Likes

Vasconcelos Sentimento - Furto

Kind of like a Brazilian Makaya McCraven. Short, cut up jazz tracks, really great stuff.

Conjoint - Earprints

Ambient, electronic jazz project from Jamie Hodge.

DJ Harrison - Stashboxxx

An awesome beat tape

There were also a few people whose whole discography i’ve discovered, like Tommy Guerrero, Metá Metá, The Clifford Gilberto Rhythm Combination, Flanger and Athletic Progression.

2 Likes

Absolutely rinsed this after hearing an EP of theirs this year:

Dreamy French pop, hate to compare one French lady to another but it is a bit like Melody’s Echo Chamber. Describe themselves as sounding like Bjork, Blonde Redhead and Broadcast which isn’t far off and is also a pretty perfect combination.

1 Like

1: Siouxsie & the Banshees — Juju (1982) *
2: FEWS — Into Red (2020)
3: Automatic — Signal (2019)
4: Elastica — The Menace (1999)
5: Young Fathers — Dead (2014)

*Possible that I’d listened to this before, but didn’t ever give it a proper listen until this year, thanks to @UncleRetrospective and his listening club.

Went really big on The Mountain Goats in ‘22 having not paid much attention to them previously - and binged on this one in particular

3 Likes

Cor, imagine getting to hear this for the first time. What a treat

2 Likes

Incredible the amount of activity in this thread within a single day considering this thread’s been around since June. Either way always love to know what non-new release things people are discovering.

6 Likes

Don Cherry - 1975 - Jazz

The Cleaners From Venus - 1990

Andy Zwerling - 1971 - dead good this

1 Like

Ah thanks for saying, really glad you like it. Hope you enjoyed the rest of the album as well. This track is another personal favourite.

1 Like

That Don Cherry album is a total masterpiece.

1 Like

I’ve started this thread a couple of times over the years. It’s a good one. Thanks @Cdigrassi1 for kicking it off this time.

Last year my listening habits took a dive and I really didn’t discover much in the way of new (to me) old albums.

One album I did discover (off the back of the Sparks movie) was No.1 in Heaven.

4 Likes

I must be blocked. :laughing:

1 Like

I suppose this was the other one have low level awareness of it but never listened to it until they announced the repress. Good to know where they came from

2 Likes

Nice discovery there…big fan of every album …Walk across the rooftops is my pick but they are all immersive, moving and soulful…

1 Like

A bit surprised at this based on what I know about your listening habits! The first couple of EPs are up there with the early Ride EPs for me and Wipe It Away is an all timer.

Big one for me last year was The Jesus Lizard. Was always aware of them but only consciously sat down and listened to them for the first time recently. Turns out GOAT is … a very good album.

4 Likes

Yes it was pure folly on my part for writing Bleach off as it turns out; Glad to find another fan!

I was listening to Nub from that Jesus Lizard LP last Friday by coincidence. Only got into that LP a few years ago - very good; agreed. My favourite by them.

1 Like

Sorry for the oversight on my part with this…hadn’t spotted you had already kicked a version of this thread off a while ago!

1 Like