Favourite public art #artweek

go and see the goat and get me some pics pls.

Now then. This is going to be hard to beat isn’t it.

haha jfc

1 Like

Karolinska Institute is a bit of a trek for me, it’s not really in Stockholm, it’s in Solna which is north of Stockholm …and it’s a couple of kilometres north of Solna even

But I promise that the next time I’m in Solna I’ll go and take some pix

1 Like

Just admiring Scooby now, what a proud little guy puffing his chest out like that <3

1 Like

I really like the idea of sea organs, I remember I got woken up by a recording of the Blackpool one playing on Radio 3 last year and fell a bit in love with its almost tuneful groans

It was put up in 2002 and only designed to last 12 years, it needed maintenance and wasn’t working properly so it looked doomed. Just looked it and it actually got dismantled last December, watched a video of it getting sawed to pieces and feel a bit bleak. Here’s a lovely one in Croatia

7 Likes

I’m going to go a bit leftfield and say the West Pier. It wasn’t built as art, but it’s not like it’s of any use for anything else these days, and it really is quite beautiful, and certainly the muse to a lot of artists in Brighton

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUAYeebMQTU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

6 Likes

Also - don’t forget public art is for joy and interaction, or just to make you take notice, if anyone isn’t posting because they’re worried that they ‘don’t know art’ please don’t hold back. If anything in the public eye has ever made you experience a positive reaction even if it’s not idk, high art or some nonsense please share it. Art snobbery does not live here :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The Manuscript of Monte Cassino by Eduardo Paolozzi (mostly the giant foot)

Dreaming Spires by Helen Denerley

Martha and Gilbert, with the inscription

“'Giraffes! a People Who live between earth and skies Each in his own religious steeple Keeping a lighthouse with his eyes.”

3 Likes

gonna come back to this after work with tons of mural favs. so many good shouts in this thread already <3

1 Like

Aw yes, I was going to post this - I do a lot of work with the artist (he pretty much created the northern quarter in manchester), he’s a top lad.

Sometimes he pulls up outside my flat in this contraption he’s made that’s like half vehicle half piano, plays some tunes then cycles off again (very slowly). Got that perfect, I am an old artist so let’s have a whiskey at 10am and some biscuits vibe to him. He also does loads of campaigning for public spaces and heritage. Love him!

He’s very pissed off about Blackpool, but knows we never maintain our art so isn’t at all surprised.

(also ironic how the balckpool installations are taught as leading examples of place management on my course despite them never being managed, don’t really understand the process of commissioning like this with no intent to preserve and then this is how we wind up with private companies commissioning a load of utter shite)

1 Like

He also made a giant meccano bridge in Nob End Meccano bridge | Liam Curtin which is a lovely sentence to write.

worried that i have this vibe without being an artist

2 Likes

I love the three ships mural in Hull. Constantly under threat from developers and presently just about hanging onto life

4 Likes

i like this in Belfast, near the Waterfront Hall

9 Likes

Yeah, I love that. Alan Boyson doesn’t seem to fare well with preservation. The Tree of Life in Salford is like, yeah, we won’t demolish it but we won’t look after it either. Same old story innit, managed decline.

1 Like

there’s some good CS Lewis stuff out in east Belfast, i like this statue

7 Likes

Oh! Omg, just checked to find a photo of how awful it looks since it got listed and found the new plans for it.

JFC that cgi

1 Like

Very these vibes

loads of street art in Belfast too, of which this is my favourite

4 Likes