Favourite reissues/compilations etc of 2017

Don’t know if anyone has done this yet this year.

The Alice Coltrane record (The Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda) is absolutely astonishing and highly recommended

I also really enjoyed the vinyl reissue of The Necessaries (late 70s New York band with Arthur Russell as a member) album Event Horizon.

I’m sure there are loads of other great ones I have forgotten.

There’s a few good reissues mentioned on the other thread about albums people have discovered that weren’t released this year.

Good shout re: Alice Coltrane. I checked that out from the Quietus end of year list.

There are quite a few more from that list I will check out too, but I keep going back to the Bark Psychosis reissue at the moment. It’s incredible.

came in to say Alice Coltrane but see that’s been covered

quite often I get into stuff when it gets reissued without actually getting the reissued album. Recent examples are the excellent new age/ambient sounds of Pauline Anna Strom and the afro disco of Letta Mbula (probs would’ve bought this but it sold out quick)

Don’t seem to have discovered many compilations this year. Only one really was ‘Noise Reduction System: Formative European Electronica 1974-1984’ thanks to the Piccadilly Records aoty lists. That’s ace.

Re-issues - so many but one that stands out at the moment is Shenzhou by Biosphere.

Reissue of the year for me is the vinyl version of the Dream Syndicate’s Complete Live at Raji’s.

My favorite is Snail Mail: Habbit, the 2016 release reissued in 2017 by Sister Ploygon Records. I think it was released in 2016 on Bandcamp. I love this EP to death.

That’s a great album. Didn’t know it had been reissued.

Its a Run Out Groove thing:

http://runoutgroovevinyl.com/complete-live-at-raji-s-2lp.html

Nice (but pricey). It’s insane how much better that band sound on that album than they do on their studio records.

They were incredible at the Lexington in October.

Favourite compilation is probably this

But only listened a couple of times round a mate’s place.

I don’t list reissues, but these were my favorite compilations/anthologies:

Aeolus - A Retrospective (Aloha Got Soul)
Akis - Space, Time And Beyond: Selected Works 1986-2016 (Into The Light Records)
Alessandro Alessandroni - Afro Discoteca (Four Flies Records)
Cybe - Tropisch Verlangen (Stroom)
Denis Mpunga & Paul K. - Criola (Music From Memory)
DJ soFa - Elsewhere MCMXIII (ICI)
Dr. C. Stein - Selected Works 1983-1988 (JJ Funhouse)
Jan Schulte - Tropical Drums Of Deutschland (Music For Dreams)
Jan Van den Broeke - 11000 Dreams (Stroom)
Patrick Cowley - Afternooners (Dark Entries)
Pauline Anna Strom - Trans-Millenia Music (RVNG INTL.)
Steele Bonus - Oz Waves (Efficient Space)
v/a - Even A Tree Can Shed Tears: Japanese Folk & Rock 1969-1973 (Light In The Attic)
v/a - Five Years Of Loving Notes (Antinote)
v/a - Miracle Steps: Music From The Fourth World 1983-2017 (Optimo Music)
v/a - Mono No Aware (PAN)
v/a - Outro Tempo: Electronic And Contemporary Music From Brazil 1978-1992 (Music From Memory)
v/a - Space, Energy & Light: Experimental Electronic And Acoustic Soundscapes 1961-1988 (Soul Jazz Records)
Vazz - Submerged Vessels And Other Stories (Stroom)
Young Marco - Welcome To Paradise: Italian Dream House 1989-1993 (Safe Trip)

Did that Reissue of The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads come out this year? I can’t remember if it was early 2017 or late 2016. Thought that it was excellent, brilliant album to get to discover again.

Agreed on the quality of the album but I could not stand the remastering/new production job.

Admittedly i only listened to about half of it before whipping out the old copy but still, sounded far too clean and shiny. Was so disappointed