I’d be surprised if we hadn’t done this thread before but saw this (similar to an account I follow on Insta that sometimes shares translations) and now want to know more examples from the DiS hivemind
The other languages bit of this is great
- Italian: Volere la botte piena e la moglie ubriaca – To want the barrel full (of wine) and the wife drunk.
Italians are my spirit animal.
Not wanting to question the wisdom of the Greeks, but there’s sounds like a possibly stressful situation
This is the insta account I was thinking of (some of it is bad dad jokes) (often so bad I nose laugh)
There was a really good thread on the old forums about these, but we don’t tend to link to those now (there’s nothing bad in there, so I could post the link if people want)
My contribution was a Japanese one:
‘mekuso hanakuso wo warau’ = eye bogies laughing at nose bogies = the pot calling the kettle black
Not quite the same but I once saw a list of Danish insults translated back into English, and my favourite was “I will lay you down and place a turd on your belly.”
It’s Thursday after all
A handful of Dutch classics:
- Now my clog breaks
- What do I have hanging on my bike now?
- That’s not how we got married
- I am the cigar
- That kite won’t fly
- An accident is in a small corner
- Behave as if your nose bleeds
- Those are haemorrhoids with whipped cream
- They are walking the sides off
- Keeping an eye in the sail
- It costs me a rib out of my body
- You can suck a point on it
- She is as sure as a bank
- He sees no further than his nose is long
- I want to sleep a night over it
In Mexican Spanish, when you ask what’s up, you can say: “¿Que pedo?” which means “what’s farting?”
I also like in Hindi and Urdu “the third wheel” is “Kebab mein haddi”- you’re the bone in the kebab.
Only the opening posts are still visible. Whole forum was nuked.
The whole thread is on the wayback machine
To anyone upset reading this: Please send all of your GDPR, right to be deleted requests to Internet Archive please, thank you.