Feb 2022 UK Politics Thread

Gary Neville messaging T May the fire emoji on insta when she posts a pic of herself in a bikini

What’s @Aggpass got to do with it?

9 Likes

Everything and nothing.

1 Like

Something occured to me

After Starmer’s speech yesterday when Johnson rounded on him with the frankly appaling (and mendacious) riposte ’When you were director of public prosecution you spent your time prosecuting journalists and failing to prosecute Jimmy Savile’

…which journalists is he referring to? Does he mean Andy Coulson & Rebekah Brooks & the whole phonehacking scandal? Is he defending them now? Is he that much in the pocket of Murdoch? Or is there someone else I’m forgetting?

I assumed he meant them yeah. The Murdoch press is on his side now, right? Keep them sweet.

Not just that one (Operation Weeting), but also Elveden (bribery of public officials) and several predating that from 2008.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/keir-starmer-declines-to-apologise-over-operation-elveden-role-joining-the-met-news-corp-and-trinity-mirror/

Bear in mind that the consensus opinion among hacks is that it was a campaign of persecutions that resulted in no criminal convictions.

1 Like

So… he countered Starmer’s speech by bringing up a serial sex offender who was a lifelong Tory supporter & personal friend of Thatcher & Cameron’s former comms guy who was convicted in relation to phonehacking ?!

Very curious behaviour

What’s @Aggpass but a sweet old fashioned notion?

8 Likes

I mean you wouldn’t bet against evidence turning up of Johnson living it up large with Savile at some posh do on at least one occasion would you?

Aye

3 Likes

It’s not a great field to chose from, but I’ve forced myself to listen to many of them and this was probably the best. It just rang true, rather than being scripted for soundbites.

1 Like

No lie, is it?

11 Likes

This is it, it felt…genuine. Which isn’t something I would normally associate with him.

1 Like

Have people actually watched the Ian blackford clips? He bottles it about 10 times before finally leaving lol.

1 Like

11 Likes

I feel like this point is very relevant to politics chat.

Particularly in the way that brexit/remain vote correlates with education.

You’re going to have to explain that bit.

Don’t know where else to put this but looking forward to Jen having Financial Times space rather MEN

1 Like

That applies to online leftists as much as anybody.

1 Like

“Northern England correspondent” singular is very good

2 Likes