February 2021 film thread (old and new film chat welcome)

17 new films in Jan
2 rewatches
Best: Adaptation, Secretary, Freaky
Worst: Dressed to Kill, Sucker Punch

Just the 41 for me :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Bests

and

I also liked:
St Frances
Doctor Sleep
Richard Jewel
Buffaloed
Underwater
Seberg
The Last Black Man in San Francisco
Gemini Man
The Hunt
Wildlife
Parenthood
Alita: Battle Angel
Us
and The Dig

Also watched all of The Rings and Indys with Film Club :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

In the extended edition of Two Towers, Mogmoth The Cruel has just finished giving the final Uruk’hai his name badge ahead of the march to Helm’s Deep

2 Likes

what did you think? felt this (relatively) flew under the radar so always want to chat about it! that huge wide shot of him riding down the hill on his board is one of my favourite moments in a while

Really badly filmed as well, looked washed out and murky and Fassbender could have read his lines sitting in his trailer. Talk about phoned in.

I would happily watch Olympus Has Fallen and London Has Fallen over Assassin’s Creed.

rewatched Dredd the other night, man it’s so good, even Lena Headey can’t spoil it

2 Likes

Only eleven films in January. Don’t know what else I was doing with my time.

Best: Melancholic

Runners up: Sputnik, 8 1/2, Upgrade

Worst: The Isle

https://boxd.it/aGqAu

January 2021
Total: 88!
75 Features (3 Rewatches) + 13 Shorts.

What a mad month. Deep in furlough now and all the jobs indoors and in the garden have fully dried up. :sweat_smile: Think i’m going to play Ghosts Of Tsushima from today, so think the tally for Jan will be an anomaly.

1. Portrait Of A Lady On Fire (Rewatch)
  2. Metropolis
  3. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse (Rewatch)
  4. The Red Turtle
  5. David Byrne’s American Utopia (Rewatch)
  6. Grave Of The Fireflies
  7. Raw
  8. Psycho
  9. Casablanca
  10. Hoop Dreams
  11. Sing Street
  12. Ema
  13. Ad Astra
  14. The Florida Project
  15. Nomadland
  16. Double Indemnity
  17. All The Presidents Men
  18. A Ghost Story
  19. Breathless
  20. Thoroughbreds
1 Like

Good god what

4 Likes

A real stunner from beginning to end. Can’t think of anything else quite like it. Yeah, that scene is glorious.
The two leads, the cinematography, the house and oh my goodness the score. Listen to it all the time.
Emile Mosseri is definitely one to keep an eye on. I’ve not seen Kajillionaire or Minari yet but I can only assume those scores are excellent too

2 Likes

28 in January.

Best: Ham on Rye, King of Staten Island, Pawn Sacrifice, The Dig

Worst: Breakthrough, Brightheart: Firefly Action Brigade

Haha. Projecting Ad Astra 80/90 inches on my wall with a great bluetooth speaker was such an amazing experience. Made me miss the cinema so much. Those factors added some stars for sure.

2 Likes

Watched The Rental on Amazon Prime last night - an Air B and B horror / thriller with Alison Brie and Toby Huss

It was quite disappointing really - no scares, no laughter, no satire not funny. Just meh with a really anti climatic ending

1 Like

PSA that Anna And The Apocalypse is on Netflix from today

1 Like

watched Minari last night, it’s about 20mins too long but was otherwise very charming

2 Likes

I really want to see this, is it on any of the streaming thingies?

Get NMH stuck in my head whenever someone mentions The King of Staten Island in these threads

2 Likes

It’s currently scheduled to come out on 19th March, but I guess we’ll see about that.

It’s playing the Glasgow Film Festival, so you can rent it from that to watch at home between the 24th-27th Feb:

https://glasgowfilm.org/glasgow-film-festival/shows/minari-n-c-15

2 Likes

not any of the legal ones yet, can send you a link if you like?

I’m sure this has been done to death, but watched Sorry to Bother You last night and bloody loved it. Sorry to Miss You too, which I also liked, but which was not a laugh.

Halfway through Widows now. Like it.