February Film Thread

Happy Death Day 2U - very very half arsed.

Sad news indeed. Must say while I had heard of him I knew little or saw little of him till I saw downfall, but fuck me, that’s a staggeringly good performance, can think of few that can match it.
So long Bruno.

1 Like

One of the greatest performances I’ve ever seen on film. Will be sadly missed.

1 Like

The Kid Who Would Be King

Feels like something you watch on a Sunday afternoon on TV rather than at the cinema (there were only three other people in the cinema with me this afternoon so I guess it’s bombing here as bad as it did in the US) and Rebecca Ferguson is given nothing to do but it has its charms and the message at the end feels timely given the protests yesterday

i was looking at the box office takings for that yesterday out of curiosity - it is currently about $40m behind its production budget, let a lone marketing. poor old Cornballs.

Should have got Dwayne Johnson in it as Merlin or something

1 Like

Fuck that was great or fuck that was terrible?

Slowly thinking Roma is the most over rated film of all time

2 Likes

tend to agree here. Thought the cinematography was fantastic and love cuaron but didn’t really get all the hype behind it. Just didnt resonate as much for me as I thought it would going in. Thought it was very meandering throughout and not as cohesive as I was anticipating based on the rave reviews. Just my opinion however.

1 Like

Watched An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn last night, and think I might like it more than The Greasy Strangler? Had a bit more warmth to it. I especially liked Colin, who was superbly feckless. Still don’t really know how his films ever get made because they’re kind of deliberately rubbish! Then watched Red Eye this morn’. Hitchcock-lite stuff but enjoyable! Cillian Murphy seemed to be made out of paper though because things just kept going through him. Mid-00s political thrillers also have the worst scores - a heady mix of shit synths and crude, digital percussion.

2 Likes

The Kid Who Would Be King - A good kids film I guess. All the child performances were dire (as they always are in British kids films) but Joe Cornish really knows how to direct clear action sequences. So many really smart ways of showing large scope but without losing the smaller-scale plan elements. I would have preferred it if it had all been in London with proper modern settings as opposed the the ancient West country stuff but never mind. Not for me but a good version of a thing that’s not for me.

Instant Family - I didn’t cry at this but that was entirely down to an extremely concerted effort not to let this fucking thing win. It’s formulaic, simplistic and really obvious but God fucking damn it it’s charming. Rose Byrne is really fucking good in this, she’s so funny. Mark Wahlberg does well too, the little girl is sickeningly adorable, there is a beautiful dog called Meatball who I loved with all my life and it was just genuinely lovely. So relieved I didn’t actually weep though but it was a hollow victory. Fucking Instant Family, Jesus.

V surprised at Instant Family (and the reviews too, which are pretty positive). Is it just this year’s Blockers, where the trailers kinda misrepresent it and make it look kinda awful?

1 Like

I wouldn’t say they misrepresent it as such. It is very much what it is but it is difficult to deny that it’s extremely effective at pulling the heartstrings and the performances (mainly from Rose Byrne) really pull it up with some genuine laughs as well.

Any one seen Koreeda’s the Third Murder? @Steved @kiyonemakibi prob gonna watch it tonight unless it’s shite. Koji Yakusho generally makes any film good though imo.

I’ve seen it, Kore-eda has made better films but it’s good and worth a watch

1 Like

what’s yr top three?

After Life
Still Walking
I Wish

I have seen it, it is good but annoyingly I missed the end, so if anyone could PM or blur it as a spoiler thatd be much appreciated

Just watch the end?

Yeah it’s great.

1 Like