Feminist article share thread vol III

This is less for the article, which is brief, but more to flag up the panel for any Bristol residents who may want to attend:

There’s been an increasing amount of research and discussion within the urban design/architecture community about how cities and spaces can be shaped to be more inclusive. I’ll see if I can dig some of the other stuff out.

Actually, it’s probably just easier to link to this, which is a decent summary from the HuffPo, with lots of links to other articles/studies in it:

I found this very interesting (ignore the clickbaity title).

2 Likes

Seen this posted a lot today in the aftermath of the Me Too solidarity this week, it’s really good. (CN for discussions of sexual violence)

1 Like

This is something I find quite hard to be open minded about, tbh. I can’t really disentangle my own feelings from the argument, so I sort of don’t read about it where possible, which is probably stupid but I reckon there are lots of people like me who think sexual criminals deserve whatever they get inside (assuming by some miracle they even get convicted).

I found it more useful concerning groups that act autonomously without the police which certain spaces (even online) requires a lot of improvement on.

“We have to make community members understand what sexual harm looks like, what it feels like, why it is unacceptable. We have to make violence unthinkable in our culture. We have to make interpersonal violence unthinkable. It has to become that. This is not about punishment, but about organizing. Most people don’t want to organize around these things. That, to me, is the nexus. That is the place that we have to work from if we are really going to transform this into something where it isn’t the survivors or the victims who have to carry the load” - that’s the sort of thing I wanted to point out.

But yeah of course I understand what you’re saying regarding carrying out justice on criminals.

2 Likes

To give this a boost:

Last year a group of women came forwards to share stories of serious abuse at the hands of a musician. That guy is now using his money to try to sue them into silence. There’s no legal aid available (thanks Tories!) so they’re having to do a crowdfunder to raise money to afford legal representation.

I won’t write who the “irritating” litigant is, because it’s not allowed for legal reasons. Please help these women out

A good one:

"I am sick of being warned, or not warned, about interacting with certain people, as casually (Molly Ringwald’s words, not mine) as talking about the weather.

“Bring an umbrella. There is a man spitting on you from a great height and it is easier to treat it as though it is raining.”

“If you have lunch with him, know that he likes to set up a giant pit filled with stakes that you will have to step around.”

“He is a thundercloud. He is quicksand. He is a deep bog.”

Instead of saying, “You cannot smoke in here,” we are telling every woman, “there is going to be smoke in the restaurant, so encase yourself entirely in protective sheeting.” Instead of saying, “Do not go around lighting people on fire,” we are telling women, “Don’t be flammable.”

Happy Annual Cri De Coeur Week, When Every Woman You Have Ever Met Tells You A Horrible Story, And You Nod Gravely, Then Go About Your Life. I am sick of having to suffer so a man can grow.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2017/10/18/men-of-the-world-you-are-not-the-weather/?utm_term=.29a4ae909c9a

1 Like

Okay the tone of the police officer in the video is exactly the tone the officers our case got passed to took with me and someone close to me when we reported a sexual assault. “Priorities”, “you can’t expect the world to stop for this”, etc. They were more interested in doing me for lamping the guy than they were in doing him for trying to rape somebody.

Find EF a bit condescending generally but this is good.

Thought this article was a good broad & general read, especially on initiatives taken at a legislative level

context

TW for gun violence

Not sure if this is the right place and apologies if I’m getting stuff wrong here (do correct my terminology etc if need be) but about this whole TERF thing going on around part of the Labour party and some wider areas at the moment:

If I understand the position correctly, what people are saying is that because a man could self identify as a woman and take up a position kept safe/reserved for women (e.g. women only shelters etc), they should exclude trans-women.

Does anyone know if there’s any recorded instance of this happening before? Because I can’t imagine anyone no matter their identify would voluntarily subject themselves to the kind of stuff that many trans people have to go through simply to invade a safe space/take someone else’s job.

I think that’s the “logic” of it.
Essentially it’s just de-humanising transgender people.

1 Like

Yeah, I get all that - and of course it goes without saying, I’m well behind the position that “trans-women are women”. Just trying to work out if the TERFs are scared of the boogyman or something that’s actually happened before. I’m assuming the former rather than the latter.

an old friend of mine wrote this…

thought this quote from Alison owen was off…

Owen nods. “I’ve had this discussion so much where a lot of men, particularly, have professed to be confused about what you’re allowed to do. If my daughter is working in a bar and another barman – her peer – says, ‘Your tits look great in that dress,’ it’s up to her to go, ‘Fuck off, you perv’ or ‘Do they?’” she says, mimicking pushing out her chest and smiling. “But if her boss says that to her, it’s not OK! What part of that is hard to understand?”

is it on her to confront, if that’s uncomfortable to do? what would be wrong with going over his head to the manager?

the supermarket and sport pieces in the same guardian weekend article last weekend were great summaries too

This is really upsetting. Not sure how it is relevant to anything in the case. ugh

digitized primary sources from feminist movements in 29 European countries;

http://www.fragen.nu/atria/fragen/

1 Like

this is good isn’t it
http://www.vqronline.org/essays-articles/2018/03/male-glance

1 Like