Fidel Castro

DEAD

Again?

That’s what happens when you lose your mod powers.

Post your treasured memories of Fidel ITT mates.

I liked it when he overthrew the Cuban regime and stuck it to the U.S. gov. Made a fool of serial sex pest Jack the K w/r/t the missile crisis, dicked upon stupid brontosaurus Ronald Regan with merry abandon, gave the middle finger to the U.S intelligence services for decades, even fucked off the fucking Mafia and walked away without a scratch. That’s class right there, real class. Top lad.

Him and Che probably sharing a well earned drink up there right now I should say.

remember when he sent all those gay people to labour camps? top lad.

see i was just debating this elsewhere. I said:

“Uh… the reference to gay internment camps re: them not being ‘free’ by comparison to us isn’t an entirely fair one. We were jailing and/or castrating gay people about six years previous. And it’s arguable that Castro has taken a much louder stance in promoting the nationwide acceptance of homosexuality than any British prime minister in the past couple decades.”

and then

“I would argue that in other countries a governments failings are represented and then repaired by successive governments, who are a new generation of people with different/evolved (in theory) views. So if Castro is all governments for a great many years, he effectively incorporates not only the failures but also the repairs into one entity. The fact that his attitudes on that score were progressive, then, is oddly more startling.”

government’s

Obama isn’t going to pardon Assata, is he :upside_down:

That’s absolutely fair, both specifically with regards to homophobia and wrt the longevity of his regime. my post was pretty glib but the point of it was that it is actively unhelpful for the left to whitewash castro’s personal history & to lionise people like him, he has done objectively awful things and those aren’t (i hope) our politics or means any more.

Yes, sure. I mean I am very definitely not representative of ‘the left’ on these boards but I think there’s definitely balance to be had either way in applauding or hating the guy

Thought he died ages ago.

aye, bit presumptuous with “our” there. soz

dinnae worry i read it as affectionate.

Also HI tricklenipple! Are you a new user?

nah, closing in on 9 years :frowning:

wo. Did you have a previous username or are you just a shy’un?

yup, codpieceface most recently

AHA. Welcome withdrawn, warm familiarity extended.

hiyaaaaaa

On the other hand

http://cubaarchive.org/wordpress/

^ database of everyone killed, disappeared or tortured

Yes, Cuba had a shameful record on LGBT rights in the early years following the revolution (stemming from social attitudes prevalent across the region).

They changed this in later years and they now educate against homophobia. As someone pointed out to me today, Cuba offers free gender reassignment as part of its national health service. Doesn’t erase the shameful history but things changed, and he blamed himself in the end for the injustices. I think he made some very positive changes around health care, education and poverty alleviation in Cuba and around the world including helping the ANC when basically nobody else was paying attention to apartheid. As you say, a grey area but the loss of a powerful figure nonetheless.